Safety of Charging Deeply Discharged Lithium Batteries.

JamesG81

10 mW
The following post was written as part of a question I asked regarding removal and charging of a deeply discharged e bike battery. That thread subject evolved into a question of the safety of charging a deeply discharged lithium battery and someone suggested to post it in this forum for a broader response. Thanks.
I am open to be educated more about the safety subject of lithium batteries.

I like to know what is the difference between a new and an old battery like these that are very low in charge. Why the danger increases so drastically (it seems that is what you are implying) if a deeply discharged cell is recharged? And why this danger remains high even if the battery is recharged successfully the first time?

I watched several more online videos in regards to the dangers of lithium batteries. One of them showed that a discharged battery, apparently, is NOT very dangerous. Only when a battery has a lot of energy and is charged it can be dangerous. So my conclusion is that if a deeply discharged battery that is then charged is inherently more dangerous than a brand new battery, then the difference between these 2 batteries must be that one or more safety feature of the deeply discharged battery must have been defeated or bypassed when it lost its charge.

One of these safety features were mentioned on this thread earlier, which was that the metals in the electrolyte may not fully go back into suspension in the electrolyte and if these metals that have not gone back into full suspension bind together they can cause a short and overheat battery and cause the kind of fire and explosion that was shown in the online videos.

Are there any other safety features of a new battery that is different from a deeply discharged battery that is successfully recharged?

In another one of these online videos it was discussed that they are looking into using an all solid state electrolyte by removing all the flammable electrolyte from the cell and put down a ceramic layer capable of conducting lithium ions but not electrons. Thereby removing the possibility of internal short happening inside the electrolyte.

This is the link to this short but very informative video: https://youtu.be/D3GDdZkN6fg

From the video: "There are a lot of pieces and processes that go into a battery to make it work. If any of those processes goes wrong there is a chance for energy to be released, and the reason that happens really is because the electrolyte inside the battery is an organic solvent and that solvent is flammable. So if the battery can not vent you build up pressure and the electrolyte burns and then it explodes." Another section of the video: "In previous instances of batteries catching fire the cause has been bad welds. A lot of battery pieces are welded together and if you don't have a good weld then you develop resistance, resistance develops heat and heat leads to fire. Other times it has been due to contaminants during the building process. Contaminants were generated, a little bit of metal scraped inside of a machine and that contaminant fell into the cell and that caused a hard short between the anode and the cathode which then generated heat and so on and so forth."

So of utmost importance regarding safety of a battery is how well it was designed and manufactured and not metal suspension or precipitation inside its electrolyte. The cells of the battery that I am working on have Samsung written on them. Is there a way to verify that these are genuine Samsung cells?

So according to the above video the real reason for a battery to cause a fire or to explode is either manufacturing defect or lack of venting which can then lead to THE FLAMMABLE ELECTROLYTE to cause fire. In other words it is the flammability of the electrolytic that is the issue and not incomplete suspension of any metal particles inside of the electrolytic (correct this if you think this is the wrong conclusion). As an analogy think of a can of gasoline, it is inherently flammable and if you heat it up then it can catch fire and explode. So once the electrolyte is charged then it is like a can of gas because it is flammable. There is nothing in the video that talks about metal inside the electrolyte that goes from a state of suspension to a state of precipitation causing short but rather that unintended contaminants during manufacturing process causing such a short.

If what is in this video, put out by Michigan Engineering (I think it is the faculty of engineering of a university), is comprehensive in regards to fire and explosion hazards of these lithium batteries, that leads me to think that a used battery that has been proven to be defect free (no bad welds) and contaminant free (no manufacturing defects from factory) should be safer than a non tested fresh battery from factory especially a lower manufactured battery. The analogy of a used car engine and a new car engine comes to my mind: the used engine has gone through the break in period and is proven to be reliable but until the new engine has gone through the same type of break in period its reliability is an open question.

Do not use "lithium" thinking the many dozens of chemistries under that umbrella behave the same.

All these issues go away using LTO or LFP for example.

If you are talking about the rest, likely NMC (NCM), NCA, LCO/LiCo or LiMn varieties

yes massive concerns about thermal runaway, boom bad.

Regular capacity and resistance testing, benchmark when new or within say 20 cycles of commissioning, and track decline as they wear.

High C-rate and DoD use cases, EoL comes much sooner, even 50 cycles in extreme cases.

My standard is 70-75% capacity loss, or any signs of heating up at 0.4C rate charging, off they go to recycling, or sold off with proper warnings to those suckerspoor souls less risk averse than me.

JamesG81 said:
The following post was written as part of a question I asked regarding removal and charging of a deeply discharged e bike battery. That thread subject evolved into a question of the safety of charging a deeply discharged lithium battery and someone suggested to post it in this forum for a broader response. Thanks.
I am open to be educated more about the safety subject of lithium batteries.

I like to know what is the difference between a new and an old battery like these that are very low in charge. Why the danger increases so drastically (it seems that is what you are implying) if a deeply discharged cell is recharged? And why this danger remains high even if the battery is recharged successfully the first time?

I watched several more online videos in regards to the dangers of lithium batteries. One of them showed that a discharged battery, apparently, is NOT very dangerous. Only when a battery has a lot of energy and is charged it can be dangerous. So my conclusion is that if a deeply discharged battery that is then discharged is inherently more dangerous than a brand new battery, then the difference between these 2 batteries must be that one or more safety feature of the deeply discharged battery must have been defeated or bypassed when it lost its charge.

One of these safety features were mentioned on this thread earlier, which was that the metals in the electrolyte may not fully go back into suspension in the electrolyte and if these metals that have not gone back into full suspension bind together they can cause a short and overheat battery and cause the kind of fire and explosion that was shown in the online videos.

Are there any other safety features of a new battery that is different from a deeply discharged battery that is successfully recharged?

In another one of these online videos it was discussed that they are looking into using an all solid state electrolyte by removing all the flammable electrolyte from the cell and put down a ceramic layer capable of conducting lithium ions but not electrons. Thereby removing the possibility of internal short happening inside the electrolyte.

This is the link to this short but very informative video: https://youtu.be/D3GDdZkN6fg

From the video: "There are a lot of pieces and processes that go into a battery to make it work. If any of those processes goes wrong there is a chance for energy to be released, and the reason that happens really is because the electrolyte inside the battery is an organic solvent and that solvent is flammable. So if the battery can not vent you build up pressure and the electrolyte burns and then it explodes." Another section of the video: "In previous instances of batteries catching fire the cause has been bad welds. A lot of battery pieces are welded together and if you don't have a good weld then you develop resistance, resistance develops heat and heat leads to fire. Other times it has been due to contaminants during the building process. Contaminants were generated, a little bit of metal scraped inside of a machine and that contaminant fell into the cell and that caused a hard short between the anode and the cathode which then generated heat and so on and so forth."

So of utmost importance regarding safety of a battery is how well it was designed and manufactured and not metal suspension or precipitation inside its electrolyte. The cells of the battery that I am working on have Samsung written on them. Is there a way to verify that these are genuine Samsung cells?

So according to the above video the real reason for a battery to cause a fire or to explode is either manufacturing defect or lack of venting which can then lead to THE FLAMMABLE ELECTROLYTE to cause fire. In other words it is the flammability of the electrolytic that is the issue and not incomplete suspension of any metal particles inside of the electrolytic (correct this if you think this is the wrong conclusion). As an analogy think of a can of gasoline, it is inherently flammable and if you heat it up then it can catch fire and explode. So once the electrolyte is charged then it is like a can of gas because it is flammable. There is nothing in the video that talks about metal inside the electrolyte that goes from a state of suspension to a state of precipitation causing short but rather that unintended contaminants during manufacturing process causing such a short.

If what is in this video, put out by Michigan Engineering (I think it is the faculty of engineering of a university), is comprehensive in regards to fire and explosion hazards of these lithium batteries, that leads me to think that a used battery that has been proven to be defect free (no bad welds) and contaminant free (no manufacturing defects from factory) should be safer than a non tested fresh battery from factory especially a lower manufactured battery. The analogy of a used car engine and a new car engine comes to my mind: the used engine has gone through the break in period and is proven to be reliable but until the new engine has gone through the same type of break in period its reliability is an open question.

So, did you have a question?

There are several questions in the original post. You can pick any and answer.

Also I stated that I am open to getting more education on safety of lithium batteries so you can do that if you like.

Here is a specific question: why it is common belief that a deeply discharged lithium battery is much more of a fire hazard than a brand new one?

Thanks.

It is not a "common belief" but objective reality. Keep pushing lifespan and fast charge rates and Boom becomes inevitable.

What ever gave you the idea there was any question about that?

Now if "deeply discharged" means never below say 3.4V, and the battery is still in its first 50 cycles, and charge rates are kept below say 0.4C

and temperatures are monitored, and charging is never left unattended.

Then yes still pretty safe.

The issue is not just the SoC% of a given battery.

The real factor is, was that battery damaged by mistreatment, or just plain worn out past the EoL spec?

That is when increased risk of thermal runaway can get really dangerous, and especially during the charging process.

JamesG81 said:
the difference between these 2 batteries must be that one or more safety feature of the deeply discharged battery must have been defeated or bypassed when it lost its charge.
"Safety feature" is not part of the basic chemistry

Protective circuitry, under-voltage, over-voltage and over-current protection, monitoring and control of temperatures and cell (im)balances, those are safety features.

Once the battery cell itself (excluding the above protective mechanisms)

has been damaged by being allowed to go too flat

it is never the same, and cannot be "repaired".

It may continue to be used in more careful use cases, at lower charging voltages and lower current rates,

but it will continue to be a riskier unit than a newer / less worn cell, more susceptible to thermal runaway in a less extreme context.

This is wrt those chemistries in common use today, excluding LFP and LTO.

Obviously technology will over time advance, and the more dangerous formulations will become obsolete.

> Is there a way to verify that these are genuine Samsung cells?

Test its capacity and IR against a known genuine cell bought from a trusted source.

No one information resource can be "comprehensive".

Scientists are learning new things every day, including about battery chemistries in use for over a century.

Those formulated in recent decades will be obsolete long before we can ever understand everything about the physics and chemistry of how they operate.

Just regular cycling usage over time will cause a perfectly healthy battery to reach specified EoL, at which point it is **much** more dangerous than a new one.

No defects or contaminants, just regular wear and tear, no matter how well treated.

A CC load capacity test showing 90% or more SoH means you can safely use it for say another 50-100 cycles, ideally coddling it well below the maximum stress mfg specs.

If next test cycle it is at 80%, you definitely want to be more careful, treat it more gently.

70% is really pushing things, best to recycle, or sell on to some poor poverty-stricken ignoramus or person who lijes to live dangerously.

First, laboratory testing is a wonderful thing and can provide much information. However, very, very few products are exclusively used in laboratories.

Another way to look at this - if the weatherman says there is a 5% chance of rain, do you take your umbrella? How about a 5% chance of severe lightning strikes, and you need to carry a 10 foot metal pole, vertically?

The much greater degree of personal risk makes a difference, doesn't it?

Several members have personally experienced battery fires, some with severe property damage and even loss of life. Many more news stories of similar incidents have been reported here. Most, BUT NOT ALL, of these have been batteries which were being charged at the time. That IS the most dangerous time. BUT - it is NOT the ONLY dangerous time. Some have caught fire while in use, and a few have caught fire just sitting there. Battery fires are very energetic and have an abundance of toxic fumes.

As for the specifics of why a severely discharged battery is more dangerous, several reasons have been offered and it is clear that experienced members absolutely will refuse to use such batteries. I will take field experience over laboratory results every time.

The short answer is, do not continue to use **damaged** batteries.

That is not the same as a "severely discharged" battery.

One possible issue with deeply discharged li-ion cells is that the copper foil the anode (negative side of the cell) uses can start dissolving if the voltage is too low. This copper then plates itself wherever it wants to when the cell is recharged. Eventually this can lead to an internal short circuit.

These short circuits could just cause a small increase in the self-discharge rate of the cell or it could cause a temperature increase high enough to send the cell into thermal runaway...which is very not good.

This has been reported to start occurring at about 2.0V or lower for some cells but I’ve seen a research paper where the cells they tested did not start dissolving copper until they were brought down to below 0V, i.e., they were being reverse charged. It probably depends greatly on the cell chemistry and cell being discussed.

Basically, your risk increases if you start going below the cell’s rated low voltage cutoff but we can’t quantify the risks or tell you if it’s just a cell-performance-loss risk, a safety risk, or both.

JamesG81 said:
Here is a specific question: why it is common belief that a deeply discharged lithium battery is much more of a fire hazard than a brand new one?
Because it is. That's why pretty much all consumer devices (think cellphones) have a trickle charge mode for when the cell is below about 3 volts - to reduce the odds of damage, heating and fire. Generally you have to charge at below about .1C until you get back above 3 volts.

The copper plating issue seems to be the real problem with Li-ion cells that have been over discharged. Beside that, the internal resistance of most cells will drastically increase once you get close to zero SOC, so if you are running high charge or discharge rates, the cells could heat rapidly. This can be managed by limiting current when the cells are below a certain SOC like Bill is pointing out.

The guy from A123 Systems said for LiFePO4 cells, once they get below 2.0v, they will be permanently damaged and generally you will see excessively high self-discharge rates on the damaged cells. Not so much a fire risk, but the cells will not perform properly.

Back