Aluminum-Air Battery

Yeah I read an article about it in my news feed recently. Some random guy (possibly with some cred/education behind him) reckons that he's solved the electrolyte problem that has prevented al/air batteries going commercial. Did it in his shed, and it's so harmless you can drink it (the electrolyte)
He's apparently looking for investors.....
Sounds like all too familiar BS to me.
Problem is... I want to believe! Al has huge energy density (according to Wikipedia) and I think that one day it could probably be the ducks nuts... But I don't think today is it.
Oh well... (I'd love to be wrong)

If you read the article, while it claims 4x-ish the stored energy of lithium, it's not a rechargeable battery. The aluminum gets used up in a chemical reaction to produce electricity. Maybe these would be good for some military purpose or for some other expendable purpose, but it looks stupid for transportation.

deckchair said:
Has anyone heard of this and can the claims be true?

I remember seeing them mentioned in Popular Science magazine in the 1980s. As for claims that are made for unconventional battery technology, the answer is almost always "no", the claims aren't true in any practical or relevant way.

To answer this question without knowing anything technical you need to understand what a press release is and why they're made. Try Manufacturing Consent.

I've heard of zinc-air and aluminum-air cells. The raw data from reliable sources suggest these have a great potential for long range in a reasonably sized package. The reason no big money is pursuing how to improve them has been stated above...they are disposable, not rechargeable.

The materials are easily recyclable, and the materials to make them are non toxic, which sounds good.

As another poster already suggested, there may be military applications. The military still uses a LOT of disposable batteries for radios, weapon sights, and night vision.

There would be a core charge when buying, so you would have an incentive to return it for recycling. Even if you cut the watt-hour per volume claims in half, these are very impressive, but...who would buy them?

Back