Finally dogman spends some money.

dogman dan

1 PW
Rare occasion, I'm so notoriously cheap. I have a new satiator on the way. Some of you may know, all my decent chargers burned up in my garage fire, and since then I've been back to my old charger set up, a meanwell and some 150w hobby king chargers. Slow,, cumbersome, pain in the ass. Then the meanwell died, so I started running the RC chargers off my RV house batteries. I won't charge in the house, or any of my garages anymore, so it takes fair weather too.

Last spring, Spinningmagnets set me up, sending me one of his old chargers, and getting me a free Luna wolf pack sent to me. Again, thanks a lot. I really liked that battery on my cruiser last summer. Ran it a lot up in the mountains, where its always rainy. This battery is sealed, effectively waterproof. SWEET. But the charger,, it still needs to stay dry. So it got a bit PITA trying to keep the rain off it, but let it breathe. The tendency was to be away from camp till it starts looking like rain, then I need to keep the charger dry.

Now all this is fixed! Water proof battery, and the charger too! I can put it on charge outside overnight, and dew won't matter come morning. Or I can put it on charge during my nap in the mountains, and not have to jump up if I get a sprinkle.

the satiator is going to be my next purchase, im notoriously cheap also, the thing is im always playing with different voltage batteries so I have 5 good chargers and 3 dead ones, 3 set at 54.6, 1 at 58.8v and another for my next pack haven't decided if its going to be 16s or 18s I was using at 15s, so if you think about it the satiator is actually cheap compared to the accumulated cost of the 8 chargers I have but high quality and very convenient. you don't have to open up the charger and adjust the pots.

the other thing about adjusting the pots on cheap chargers is that you cant control the charging amps for the last bit of the charge cycle. if it was a Sans 13s charger cranked upto 15s/63v I had no idea what the amps were except that it wasn't 2 amps anymore probably 1.25 amps and if there was no fan I would drill 100 holes in the plastic case to let the heat out and on that charger a piece of metal got inside and blew the charger.

I bought a 24v led headlight from a scooter for the led's to put inside an old school chrome headlight for my chopper so I was looking for a charger and that pretty much made up my mind. on one shelf I have 5 ebike chargers plus 2-Ryobi,2- dewalt and 3-milwaukee chargers and some cell phone chargers and a couple vape chargers.

that's kind of why I switched to phaserunners, I have a parts bin with 3 blown chargers and 4 blown controllers in it from just this year alone

Yep. Right now I have a 12s 10 ah hobby king pack, and the 14s wolf pack from luna, and my old lipo runs a mower at 6s. I'll be able to charge all of them with the same charger. that alone will be nice.

I have two satiators, took them both to an electronics repair shop as one wasnt working (blown output fuse), HE has lost them in a massive pile of stuff awaiting repair :(
DOH...

good thing i'm now into 22S packs which the early satiators i have are no good for anyway but still pretty annoying as i'd like to build the missus a new bike

You need to run a pack you can split in half, then paralell it to satiate it. 24s.

Got my first use of the satiator done yesterday. Very impressive. Pulled 450 wh out of my Luna pack, and the satiator charged it full in about an hour and a half. Outstanding!

I will use a slower charge profile most of the time, but when I'm up in the mountains in the RV, it will be great to fill the battery in two hours, about the same length of time I run the generator in the evenings anyway. Chances are, l will still be running the generator more than without charging batteries, but in the past it was literally having to run the generator the entire time I was back at the RV. So I'd do an hour morning ride, then have to charge 4 hours to fill a 12s 10 ah pack, afternoon ride, then run the generator another 4 hours. And no charging if it rains. (not charging inside the RV) The whole reason I go there, is to get to see some rain, so the e bike in the mountains has tended to be a bit of a catch 22 deal.

dogman dan said:
You need to run a pack you can split in half, then paralell it to satiate it. 24s
You mean serial, as in 2x 12S or 3x 8S in order to get to 24S ?

Series connect to run 24s, or 20s, anything that can spit in half easy, based on the size packs you have.

Then it can be disconnected as for example, two 12s sections. Then it could be paralleled, to make a very large 12s, which the satiator can charge.

I'm assuming you are getting 22s using something that is awkward to spit in to 11s sections. Like 5s 5s 5s 5s 2s packs.

You could always split it into uneven sections, like 10s and 12s. but then you have to charge each section individually.

I couldn't think of a hobby king pack combination that would make 22s and split in half. But I guess 5s 5s 6s 6s would make up two 11s sections.

Before I got the satiator, I've been running 12s lipo on some of my bikes. But I had to charge 6s. So I would connect 6 s sections together and charge at 150w with an RC charger. Took forever to charge 6s 20 ah sections, three of them. Now I can charge my wolf pack fast when I want it, and charge my lipos twice as fast too. It will be very close to one hour charging on the lipos.

Back