Faster 6s balance charger?

forcefed

10 W
So i'm in the process building an 18s10p battery for my bike, going to split that pack into three 6s10p pieces so i can balance charge it. I picked up an imax b6ac charger but from what i can tell if i balance charge my 6s10p it'll only output 6 amp's? If i was only charging 6 cells this would be fine, but there's 60 of them, this will take a while. Are there any faster balance chargers out there?

forcefed said:
So i'm in the process building an 18s10p battery for my bike, going to split that pack into three 6s10p pieces so i can balance charge it... unfortunately this dinky iMAX B6AC charger i ordered only puts out 6 amps and if my math is right it'll take a week to charge each pack :lol: :roll:
Is there a faster way to balance charge a 6s10p battery?
I’d just rely on a BMS since a 50w imax b6ac is limited to 1.98amps at 25.2v.

These Chinese metal chargers have some internal trim pots that allow for voltage and amperage adjustment, there’s a lot of variations at different price points so just buy for the spec you need rather than expecting to up a 5amp charger to 10 amps as they aren’t necessarily using the same internal components.
https://a.aliexpress.com/LqciJ9B51

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forcefed said:
I'm trying to avoid a bms and use a balance charger, are there stronger balance chargers out there?
Yeah hobbyking sell some higher wattage models. I know I’d get bored programming a imax interface every time I want to charge though I really appreciate the simplicity of getting home tired and plugging in a single connector.

I was very tempted to post a 75.6v but do appreciate you splitting the pack as far easy to work on smaller packs.

Yeah but you’d need 3 of those and a suitable power supply for each.
What cells are you using and how many in parallel?

Ok so 18650s. What’s the cell reference number?

They all have product codes that allow you to look them up for example Samsung INR18650-25R

Those cells are only rated for charging at about 1.7amps each and you have 18cells, for that amount of cells I’d plan for a couple of the cells dying.
So for 16 cells you could charge at 27amps though that’s a lot to push through nickel strips so 10-15 amps would be much safer.

Honestly 3 lots of charging would wind me up so I’d really push you to get a BMS on each pack so you can plug in a charger to each one

crazyfrog said:
Honestly 3 lots of charging would wind me up so I’d really push you to get a BMS on each pack so you can plug in a charger to each one
I'm in no hurry, like i said if i can charge the whole pack in a day i'll be fine, the imax charger will take 33 hours at 50 watts. If i can charge the 6s10p at 10amps(222watts) it'll take around 2.5 hours per pack so 7.5 hours total.

You don't want to be connecting and disconnecting the series connections of power mains on a daily basis. It's a waste of time, and risk skyrockets. Make it an 18s pack with 3 sets of 6s balance taps. Then bulk charge to a conservative level 4.05v-4.10v/cell for much much longer cell life. Make sure you build it in a way to be able to easily check for balance, and then balance when necessary. At first you'll want to check for balance frequently, and then once you get to know your pack you'll be able to safely go longer periods without checking...but always check after deeper than typical discharges, if you drop your bike, or notice changes in voltage behavior.

Make sure you have a backup charger too, since they're cheap and so a charger failure can't put your transportation out of business.

Actually he’s on about not using a BMS so he’s looking at expensive RC chargers

Good ones aren't cheap.

ziSDT, iJunsi Charger, FMA/Revolectrix / Cellpro are good brands, last the best.

example iCharger4010-Duo is $300+ and doesn't count the PSU needed if feeding off mains power.

Each "cell" in the series "pack" can be a parallel group rather than just one.

Special fused boards to be safe.

john61ct said:
Good ones aren't cheap.

ziSDT, iJunsi Charger, FMA/Revolectrix / Cellpro are good brands, last the best.

example iCharger4010-Duo is $300+ and doesn't count the PSU needed if feeding off mains power.

Each "cell" in the series "pack" can be a parallel group rather than just one.

Special fused boards to be safe.
If you look earlier in the thread I linked to a 300w charger ideal for 6s. I’m not comfortable linking to 2000w or 1000w as you don’t know what you’re running, on the power supply front we know from the pc world drawing 1000watts can melt wires and smoke power supplies and that’s very regulated, in the Rc charger world we don’t know how good those chargers are it’s all here say never mind chargers.

Here’s a power supply from a reputable pc power supply maker who I think is the oem for a majority of power supply brands. Remember the rating is for output not power draw.
https://youtu.be/unvx3sKmmbg

crazyfrog said:
I’m not comfortable linking to 2000w or 1000w as you don’t know what you’re running, on the power supply front we know from the pc world drawing 1000watts can melt wires and smoke power supplies and that’s very regulated, in the Rc charger world we don’t know how good those chargers are it’s all here say never mind chargers.
No idea what you are trying to say.

Top-notch high quality PSUs from IBM, HP, excellent telecom lab grade gear for pennies on the dollar, 48V is the norm one you get past piddly stuff, nothing to do with stuff from consumer-level PCs. But they aren't inherently bad, just too weak at only 12V.

and what hearsay? Just do your research, like any topic area new to you.

How about feeding off a 12kW alternator?

Sure you can melt wires if you're stupid, so, don't be stupid!

This just came past my feed, might buy it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Ten-P63C-40250-DC-Power-Supply-40V-250A-/352918011101

Good way to push outside your comfort zone 8-D%

My battery is 6P6S x 2 and I have a couple of Reaktor chargers plugged into a 540W HK power supply. I balance charge @ 2 Amps so my 29Es take about 7 hours to charge to 4.1v/cell. That is fine with me I usually charge for 6 hours in the evening when I get home then finish charging for another hour during breakfast. There is an AC/DC powered dual charger that would be more practical than the 540W power supply which is a real brick, I would think twice about taking it on the road for example.

You can program the charger to charge for a certain time then switch off, there is a loud alarm but that can be turned off too so you could program your charge overnight if you have a nice safe place to do so.

forcefed said:
Oh its a mix of UR18650FM, CGR18650E, LGABB41865 and UR18650ZT cells
Definitely need to balance charge considering the 4 different brand used cells as it would take way toooo long with BMS. Hopefully you have fused (10A) your pack.
forcefed said:
I'm trying to avoid a bms and use a balance charger, are there stronger balance chargers out there?
I'm in no hurry, like i said if i can charge the whole pack in a day i'll be fine, the imax charger will take 33 hours at 50 watts. If i can charge the 6s10p at 10amps(222watts) it'll take around 2.5 hours per pack so 7.5 hours total.
Do you realize charging at 10amps is toooo risky? You're inviting trouble to charge each 6S10P pack possibly having 2-4 different brand used cells (different Amp ratings) in each pack.
forcefed said:
Sanyo FM 5A 2600mAh rating when new, Panasonic CG 10A 2600mAh rating when new, LG B4 3.75A 2600mAh rating when new, Sanyo ZT 5.2A 2650mAh rating when new.

Do you plan to first do a test run experiment to determine how long it takes to balance charge each 6S10P pack with the three 2S-6S balance chargers beginning at the same time and hopefully ending near the same time around 41 volts. At $50 apiece = $150 for three 10A 100W digital readout balance chargers. If there is a significant difference in the time it takes to balance charge each 6S10P pack at 4C(5A) then forget about balance charging the 18S10P pack at once time ... even if you could find or build such a 18S10P balance charger.

eMark said:
Do you realize charging at 10amps is toooo risky? You're inviting trouble to charge each 6S10P pack possibly having 2-4 different brand used cells (different Amp ratings) in each pack.
How is it risky? There's 10 cells is parallel, if i charge it at 10 amps each cell will get 1 amp each. I'm not charging each cell at 10 amps, yes that's nutty, these cells are rated at around 1.7-2.5a for charging.

forcefed said:
Sanyo FM 5A 2600mAh rating when new, Panasonic CG 10A 2600mAh rating when new, LG B4 3.75A 2600mAh rating when new, Sanyo ZT 5.2A 2650mAh rating when new.

Do you plan to first do a test run experiment to determine how long it takes to balance charge each 6S10P pack with the three 2S-6S balance chargers beginning at the same time and hopefully ending near the same time around 41 volts. At $50 apiece = $150 for three 10A 100W digital readout balance chargers. If there is a significant difference in the time it takes to balance charge each 6S10P pack at 4C(5A) then forget about balance charging the 18S10P pack at once time ... even if you could find or build such a 18S10P balance charger.
No i have no intention on charging the whole pack at once, that's why i split it into 3.

forcefed said:
All in one pack? To say that's sub-optimal is a wild understatement.

I'd look at dedicated balancer gear with a very high balance rate, at least an amp up to 3 or more even better.

And the active type, so balances just as fast as voltage delta goes lower.

Not cheap, but can leave it active while in use not just charging.

Better to start with new matched cells of course.

I'm using an isdt t8 1000w 30a 8s charger being powered by 2x hp dps 1200fb 1200w psu in series for 24v, cost approx £120 and charges my 18s 20ah lipo pack from flat in about 2 hours or less, i split the pack and charge 3x 6s cells in parallel.

Theres cheaper options but I like to balance charge every time and after owning a few isdts they haven't let me down so far..

john61ct said:
Better to start with new matched cells of course.

We all would like to do that, but I only paid $70 for all these cells :lol:
I do have 18 brand new ridgid 4ah battery packs i can take apart, but that's only if this battery doesn't work out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, i'll test each cells capacity and try to match them up the best i can.

ZERONEST said:
I'm using an isdt t8 1000w 30a 8s charger being powered by 2x hp dps 1200fb 1200w psu in series for 24v, cost approx £120 and charges my 18s 20ah lipo pack from flat in about 2 hours or less, i split the pack and charge 3x 6s cells in parallel.

Theres cheaper options but I like to balance charge every time and after owning a few isdts they haven't let me down so far..

I'm looking at the isdt q8, it seems it'll serve me well. Any reason you put the psu's in series?

Back