What is wrong with this product?

Desertprep

1 kW
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000499645696.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1d2c37bdpg3CrM&s=p&algo_pvid=9ddf60ab-f2cb-4d10-8cc1-6c6abf6d1046&algo_expid=9ddf60ab-f2cb-4d10-8cc1-6c6abf6d1046-0&btsid=0ab6f82415825386823814541e4f8c&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Aliexpress does not usually carry products that are blatantly junk. In the interest of helping me practice my knowledge of batteries, what is there here that likely makes the price so low? and they seem to be rather small in size as well. Suspicious :roll:

The labelling is woefully wrong, 28ah ?
Claims of over 9000mah per cell and only 3p for 18650, devil is in the detail or not in this case.
Pack size is about right for 13s 3p config but certainly not top cells used and likely really crappy " fire brand cells" used, give it a wide berth and don't b sucked in with the silly price. Cells may even contain sawdust and other non lithium rubbish.

Yeah, 8 ah plausible perhaps. Really great price, I paid a lot more for the pack that burned my garage down.

gonna be sag city cells, you'd need 4-6 of them I bet, to pull 30 amps.

H1fbe3e042f1e44a4aa8fa7d2df57c369w.jpg

Seems legit.

/s

28ah for a 3p 18650 pack? not a chance. that's over 9ah per cell.

i find it more likely that they are using garbage cells with only a few hundred mah per cell, so the *total* combined capacity of all the cells in *1s*, 3.7v, might be 28ah (just like the many "starter" and "accessory" packs on ebay do with pouch cells).

or they're just plain lying.

title claims 1000w output? that's 1000w / 48v = about 21a, which is about 7a per cell. that would be very hard on them, if they're the garbage cells they likely are--even if they were just high capacity cells, and actually good ones, it wouldn't be an easy life at that rate.

later on in the specs they say only 10a output continous. 40a peak; in neither case is that a 1000w battery. so more wrong specs or lies, either in the specs or in the title.

and the wires are "18 lines" which must mean 18g, which is pretty thin.

physical size says there "may be 10mm error" in the dimensions, which means they don't even know how big their own packs are, or else they can't make them consistently, either of which means they're worthless.

hell, the company even stole their logo graphic (from the firefox browser)!

wouldn't touch any of their stuff with an ocean-wide-long pole.

High capacity Lithium-ion battery 48 v 28Ah 1000 w 13S3P for Electric scooter 54.6 v e-bike with BMS discharge + charger
Product parameters
Battery brand: okoman
Battery Type: 18650
Single cell voltage: 3.7 V
Combination: 13 series 3 and
Nominal voltage: 48 V input voltage: 48 V output voltage: 48 V
After combined capacity: 28,000 mAh (28Ah)
Battery dimensions: 238 * 66 * 60mm (there may be 10mm error) 3 * 13
Outer package: blue PVC
Indoors with protection circuit: overload, excessive discharge, overcurrent, short-circuit protection!
For other needs can contact the owner, thank you new and old customers.

Battery charging requirements: please go to the store to buy another charger!
1: the need for a dedicated lithium battery charger;
2: charging voltage: 48 V
3: Charge current: greater than or equal to 5A

Battery discharge requirements:

1: output 18 lines, length 200mm, red and black each
2: enter the exit line leads to a length 2.1 200mm
3: nominal discharge current: greater than or equal to to10A
4: maximum instantaneous current: 40A
5: maximum operating current: 13A
* If you need an XT60-type interface, please contact us.
Mailing list:
1.1 pieces 48v battery (with BMS)
2. 1 pieces charger
Since some packages can only deliver 2 kg of goods to certain countries, some countries must send two packages.

Hillhater said:
pengyou said:
...Aliexpress does not usually carry products that are blatantly junk. .....
TOTALLY WRONG !
I agree, what a silly statement to lead with.

> buying from Ebay

on the other hand as long as you are capable of testing thoroughly on arrival against vendor claims, there is almost no risk with eBay+PayPal

The platform refunds your money no matter what problems they may have with the seller.

Seller has to even pay return postage if what you get is "Not as Described"

I rarely use eBay but when I did have a problem they stood behind me and I also had PayPal but PayPal ask me to use eBay first and eat Bay did resolve my problem.

amberwolf said:
28ah for a 3p 18650 pack? not a chance. that's over 9ah per cell.

i find it more likely that they are using garbage cells with only a few hundred mah per cell, so the *total* combined capacity of all the cells in *1s*, 3.7v, might be 28ah (just like the many "starter" and "accessory" packs on ebay do with pouch cells).

or they're just plain lying.
At that price not only may the battery be "junk/garbage" but possibly also the BMS and charger. The pack is most likely a mixture of grade A and B cells depending on how they define grade A :wink:

Maybe, just a short burst at 9Ah ... NOT max continuous discharge most likely with only a 15A BMS :(

Spec says: "After the combined capacity: 28000mAh (28Ah)" ... how do they get that capacity from that 3P battery ?

that's when Wh are better

likely some magic math using each cell voltage

or just lying. Super common when it comes to marketing energy storage to noobs

It looks like they just have a math error by whoever did the label, and multiplied the series cell count by the per cell mah. I believe it's a 48V6ah pack. 2ah/cell seems appropriately low for the current ratings stated. At $79 for the pack including the charger that's $0.27/wh, so reasonably cheap. However, if you don't turn the charge cutoff voltage way down for daily use and only charge to full voltage 2-3 times a month to balance the pack right before riding, then you can probably expect significant and rapid cell capacity degradation within 100-200 cycles. That's assuming there's not a construction flaw causing an early pack failure.

If I was compelled to buy something from that outfit with the doctored photos and glaring errors, I'd try the Sony VTC6's for under $2/ea, and test them to see if they're real and not cell rejects. Then build my own pack.

That's funny, new grade A genuine they're not guaranteed.

Could get free cells that way, but then you're the scammer :cool:

john61ct said:
> buying from Ebay
The platform refunds your money no matter what problems they may have with the seller.

Seller has to even pay return postage if what you get is "Not as Described"
Sorry John, but even with the Ebay/paypal back up you can still have issues
EG...
Vendor ships trash or empty (recorded delivery) package instead of actual product
Ebay insist you deal with supplier for a return code
..returns need a “return code” from the vendor
Vendor insists you return ship package before code is issued and/or blatently ignors request for return code !
Results in messy, international , much delayed, resolution process.
Buyer Beware !

Yes can be delays.

As a buyer I've never had a problem, many hundreds of transaction, maybe 20 disputes.

Most sellers I've told them how much to refund and they just say keep it because they don't want to bother paying to get a faulty item back.

I rarely buy from a vendor rated less than 99.8% mostly 100% and believe me if that's their living they do NOT want a bad rating.

As a seller the same system has been used to scam me, so now big ticket or heavy items I sell locally on Craigslist.

So sorry, typo mistake. Ad should have said 8 ah. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sucker! Come get me in china.

Soon as I told the insurance adjuster I bought the battery that burned my house on ali express, he rolled his eyes and knew the company was out of $250,000, and nobody to sue to recover any of it.

But in reality, the chances of you buy this battery and it burns your house down are still infinitesimally small. Very few battery fires relative to the numbers of batteries out there. Its not a shit battery, just not a stellar quality cell in there, and way off on the capacity they state.

If you bought it, you'd just get a battery about the quality, and size you paid for. But not particularly a screaming deal price. It would run a very small scooter or something 200w just fine.

Back