2nd battery for Bosch active-line on Sparta B2 ?

ThomasEekels

10 mW
Our Sparta B2 e-Bikes both now have their second battery. Mine gave out completely, before replacement. My wife's got less capacity, approx 40%, so we replaced it also.

So now I have 2 good and one less good battery.
The bike has a dock for the battery as well as a charge port for charging in the bike.

Should it be possible to hook up the other battery to that port and have both batteries in parallel for longer distance ?
And if that is not a good idea for th 40% battery, could it be done with both good batteries ? In stead of replacing them ?

Just an idea....

Thomas

If you mean hooking a battery to a charge port on another battery...no, don't do that.

If you need to run them at the same time, hook up their outputs in parallel. Dependign on the system this may require adding wiring and connector for the second battery from the battery dock's output wires.

If you have two docks, you can install teh second dock and just parallel the two sets of output wires of the docks to the rest of the bike.

Well, not a charge port of the battery, but the charge port of the bike. This port looks similar to the connector of the battery. If the battery is in the dock, the standard charger can connect to this extra port, to charge the battery in the bike.
If the battery is out, the charger connects to the battery itself with same connector.

So I presume this extra connector is kind of parallel to the battery inserted....

Typically the charge port of a bike will connect to just the charge port of a battery.

If that's the case, then no you don't want to connect to it, because you don't want to be passing discharge current levels thru the battery's lower-current-designed charge port (and don't wnat to pass that thru the BMS like that either).

Also, a bike's charge port will generally be designed for much lower current than the discharge, so it may not be able to handle the current draw from the battery, either.

*If* the charge and discharge ports of the batteries are the *same port*, *then* you can wire them in parallel...but the charge port of the bike still isn't intended for the higher discharge currents. It's possible that it's built well enough to handle it, but since everything is generally designed to be the absolute cheapest thing that won't literally catch on fire, explode, or fall apart before it leaves the factory ;) , I wouldn't count on that. :lol:

Back