Satiator and Shimano battery compatibility?

Warekiwi

10 mW
For some time I've been using my Satiator GC360-4808 charger to charge a custom 48v 21Ah battery on my assisted Quattrovelo velomobile, I have appreciated the profile setup which enables me to choose the desired charge level and then forget it with no concern about over-charging. (Most of the time I uses an 80% charge with occasional 100% charges to balance the cells) After over two years of frequent use the battery barely shows any degredation.
Recently I've added a Vitus Mountain bike to my collection which has the Shimano E8000 setup with it's proprietary 36V battery and charger. The only way I can limit the charge to less than 100% is by constantly checking the LED display. I know this issue has been discussed previously but has there been any progress with a way to utilise the Satiator instead of the Shimano EC-E6000-6 unit. (I understand that the Shimano unit identifies somehow with the Shimano battery?) A connector cable plus some sort of intermediary electronics would be needed?

If the Shimano battery and charger communicate during charging to determine end of charge, etc., and the Shimano battery will not charge with just the + and - of another charger (like Satiator) connected to just it's charge current inputs, then only that charger can be used with that battery, unless you can "sniff" the communication bus and figure out the protocol and data being exchanged, and then create software for an MCU of some type to do the same thing for a different charger (like Satiator).

It's not impossible...but as you may see by looking around at the various "protocol" threads for different kinds of items on ES, it's not really easy either. :(

Some of them are in this list:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=protocol*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Back