Partial screen failure on Satiator 48V unit

Warekiwi

10 mW
I'm a great fan of the Satiator charger (see my other post re-using it with my Shimano battery) lately the data display on my GC360-4808 has developed a fault on the right side of the screen. I see that spare screen are available as spare parts but would this cure the problem or it it likely to be caused by something more complicated? If it is just a screen problem is it a difficult swap? (I'm fairly technically competent and OK with a soldering iron)

First, you may wish to contact Grin Tech to see if the problem is covered under warranty.

Without seeing the problem, best guess is it's either the screen, or a connection issue in the ribbon cable, probably at the connector on the electroncs board inside.

There is no soldering involved, thankfully.

You can open up the Satiator casing to check that cable, but you have to be very careful with the cable, it's fragile, and so is the connector it plugs into. There is a small tan "bracket" that goes 3/4 of the way around the cable, and you must *gently* lift this bracket straight up away from the white connector shell, by just a tiny amount (maybe a millimeter), to release the cable, and once the cable is reseated or reinstalled, it must be *gently* but *firmly* pushed back down into the white shell. The bracket does not come off the connector--if you pull it off, it's now probably broken, and may not be able to retain the cable afterward.

The cable is permanently attached at the screen side.

If the cable seating isn't the culprit, then (again, without seeing it) it's probably the screen itself. Replacing the screen also requires peeling off the label on that whole side of the unit, carefully cleaning any gunk left behind, and after replacing the screen then correctly installing the new sticker that comes with the kit (this sticker is part of the waterproofing, especially at the screen).

There *should* be two stickers that come with it, one for each version of the Satiator (one with the end-mounted AC plug, one with the side-mounted), but if like in my repair kit you only get the *wrong* sticker, you'll have to deal with the AC plug hole problem if yours is the side-mounted plug and you get the end-mounted-plug sticker version, by cutting a hole for the AC plug to fit thru (which cuts thru a bunch of the text on the sticker). Not such a big deal if you have the end-mounted plug, you're just left iwth an unstickered area that probably won't cause any issues.

Thanks Amberwolf- it sounds like some rebuilds I did recently on a Mavic Pro Drone- those little ribbons are very fragile!

Back