Can I buy US made lithium batteries?

momus3

100 W
I've been looking online for US made eBike batteries and haven't had much luck. It appears that Dakota is sold out of the model I was interested in (a 36V 3.3Ah that I was thinking of buying three of and wiring them together). AllCell appears to be out of stock as well. Are there other options? Thanks.

If you are looking for packs made somewhere with better working and political conditions than China, also consider South Korea, Japan, and maybe Taiwan - if they make lithium cells.

They would need to be quite old if you did find them, would really not make sense economically, even the European firms have mostly moved their factories to China long ago.

Not really the sort of trend can be just be reversed because some politician thinks it would be a good idea, especially given how little relative encouragement the US has given the alternative energy sector lately.

I'm not interested in the politics per se, just thought it makes sense to buy from where I live. We're in a recession, and I support US businesses if possible because I know a lot of people are out of work due to this virus. Apparently that may be difficult or impossible regarding the batteries.

Tried to contact AllCell and got some woman who had trouble w/ English, so no info there. At Dakota, no one answers their phone. Oh well.

I did find these. Reasonable cost, could put 2 or 3 together. Surely made in China, but a US seller, and ships from the US, so that's probably as good as I can find. There were several other US sellers that had this battery too. The charger is crazy expensive though. Amazon wants around $120.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metabo-HPT-BSL36B18-36-Volt-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-4Ah-8Ah-Battery/392847945827?epid=622944176&hash=item5b778ff063:g:s8YAAOSwZmpetVqU

May I suggest that you separate your two goals:

1) buy the best batteries made in china
2) make dedicated efforts at charity or contributing to your community

Reasoning:

They don't really make lithium batteries in the US and you won't find anything production that's cutting edge and certainly not for a good price.

Also if you want to help your country and community buying batteries from a megacorp who doesn't even need cash is probably the dumbest possible way of going about it lol.

Are you looking for the battery pack to be made in the united states, or the pack and cells also?

Because we don't really produce cells here in the United States, aside from some military-centric producers ( IE you can't buy them ), and companies like Tesla ( you also can't buy their cells outside of a completed car ).

A company like allcell is producing battery packs with Chinese/Japanese cells. The cost per watt-hour is something like 2x-3x than a pack assembled in China. The packs are larger than usual due to their cooling system.

Lithium cells aren't really made here because lithium batteries are still expensive per watt hour right now. There's huge price pressure on them. So they're mostly made in China.

https://ebikemarketplace.com/collections/lithium-batteries?cmp_id=1602069277&adg_id=63243673120&kwd=%2Be%20%2Bbike%20%2Bmarketplace&device=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzuekgdiW6gIVRAwrCh3QMwzOEAAYASABEgLD0_D_BwE

https://lunacycle.com/18650-ebike-battery-pack/

There is always recycled EV cells..... not turn key installation.. ( a 'diy' style") but...

Cheaper, more powerful, inherently safer, long lasting, and reliable... but.. "used" and "recycled"....

Dakota lithium. Lol. Screwface prices. DIY if you are into that kind of thing.

Going on the 6th year of an (oem) 8 yr warranty. Torn up and reassembled by me for less than 150$ /Kwh. My battery was build in the USA. In Ohio. With Korean cells. Proud to say. 100%.

Back