36V (3x12V) Pb battery replacement

nuxland

100 W
Got one old scooter to my son who is going to university. But it had 3x12V 12Ah Pb battery inside that only allowed around 12km of range. And the charger was 1,5A, so 8h to fully recharge again.
Goal was to put the replacement battery to the same place so I had size restriction. After calculation I sourced 120pcs of "Samsung INR18650-35E 3450mAh - 8A - refurbished" and configured it in 12p10s. nkon holders if combined to 8x15 arrangement were a little to big so bough from aliexpress ready made one pice 8x15 holder and also bough from the same place 6p wide nikkel. As 12p 8A cells can give over 100A but I only needed 30A (that is what brushed motor and 1kw dc controller was rated for) I bought 60A BMS from aliexpress because these were still in the right size. If you go over 80A or 100A they are to large.
This was my first time to use welder that was sitting in shelf from year 2017 :)
Used 100Ah car battery because my lipos were 7s and that is to high for welder mosfets.
36V_40Ah_Weld_Begin.jpg
Added second layer nikkel where there was only 3 ribbon in series
36V_40Ah_Weld.jpg
BMS installed and output wires done
36V_40Ah_BMS.jpg
New Battery weight without bag and padding (add few hundred grams)
36V_40Ah_Weight.jpg
Old Pb Battery weight
36V_12Ah_Weight.jpg
Testing is it working before shrinkwrapping
36V_40Ah_Testing.jpg
Shrink wrapping (also added extra balance wire just in case when I want to charge it with my 4010 duo)
36V_40Ah_ShrinkWrap.jpg
Ready and installed in bag. Only difference from outside is XT90 connector
36V_40Ah_Ready.jpg

In Calculations scooter should have now 4 times the range and battery is 5kg lighter.
Bought also 42V and 5A aliexpress charger to be able to charge it in 8h when empty.

Made another one and now have two of these.

Attachments

• 36V_40Ah_SecondOne.jpg
    36V_40Ah_SecondOne.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 714
Whats the range increase, 50 km total there about ?

I had one these years ago for cheap and enjoyed it stock it was terrible but new controller and batterys at 16s 60amp and the ride became alot more enjoyable nippy enough to keep up on 30mph roads no issues.

I stopped riding the roads in the end though felt vunrable in uk everyine wanted to race it and thsts an issue when im going 45mph flat out with a white van up my arse pushing rather than going round some people are just dangerous no matter what they drive.

Ianhill said:
About 35km with one battery. Old brushed motor and controller are ineffective. And its heavy also.
30km/h is max with 36v battery.

nuxland said:
Ianhill said:
35km with on battery. Old brushed motor and controller are ineffective. And its heavy also.
30km/h is max with 36v battery.
Didnt see it was the brushed motor i got a razor build now with one but like you say range is not the best with these even if they double as a hand warmer when its cold.

Check out the 48-60v 45amp controller in my thread im running its a steal and well suited to these motors specially the 48v and hall throttle works with 12 to 16s

Back