It's dead Jim. Dead battery pack

BCBeaver

10 mW
Magnum bike with a 48V, 13AH battery. Woman left her house with a full charge, rode 3km, had coffee, hopped on her bike and it was dead. I put a meter on it and it shows 0.6V. I now sits on my bench. I checked fuses on both ends both good. Dead cell or BMS?

BCBeaver said:
Magnum bike with a 48V, 13AH battery. Woman left her house with a full charge, rode 3km, had coffee, hopped on her bike and it was dead. I put a meter on it and it shows 0.6V. I now sits on my bench. I checked fuses on both ends both good. Dead cell or BMS?

Either. A dead cell will make a working BMS do its job and cut the pack off. I'd charge it through the discharge port for a minute or so, then see if it shows normal voltage. If it wakes up, it's probably either a bad cell or a badly imbalanced condition.

If it doesn't wake up, you'll have to open it up and start checking cell voltages and sense wire continuity.

Hooked up the charger to the discharge port and it's now alive. 53.6V. I had 4 lights on the battery indicator so I installed the battery in the bike and the bike wouldn't turn on and 4 lights on battery were now out. I got a flash of light from the direct connected headlight (has a switch but not operated through controller) but the bike would not turn on. I disconnected the controller and tried a new one and it worked. I plugged the original controller in and it now works. I'm left wondering why and will it die again soon?

I feel like I treated the symptom but not the disease.

BCBeaver said:
Hooked up the charger to the discharge port and it's now alive. 53.6V. I had 4 lights on the battery indicator so I installed the battery in the bike and the bike wouldn't turn on and 4 lights on battery were now out. I got a flash of light from the direct connected headlight (has a switch but not operated through controller) but the bike would not turn on. I disconnected the controller and tried a new one and it worked. I plugged the original controller in and it now works. I'm left wondering why and will it die again soon?

I feel like I treated the symptom but not the disease.

Leave it on the charger for a day or two (to let it balance), then check the voltage. It should be 54.6V. If it holds that voltage for a day after it's removed from the charger, then it's probably fine.

If it cuts out quickly in use after it has been balanced, then there's a very weak cell, a faulty connection somewhere, or a fruity BMS.

That bodes ill for my Magnum Metro. I left it charging for several days by accident early last month, and now I get a drop of about 1.5 volts within 2 blocks of leaving my house. It behaves normally otherwise, no additional extra voltage drop, but I probably also have a weak cell now.

Back