Fuses behind a BMS: what's the point ?

qwerkus

10 kW
I keep seeing packs with an automotive fuse sitting behind a bms, and I wonder what's the point. Even in a pure redundancy scenario, a proper bms will trigger an OCP way before the fuse would melt, and die if the OCP fails. Even in that extreme case, the main discharge would be instantly cut off, so when exactly would the automotive fuse melt ?
Since a fuse adds some sort of resistance (though I agree: irrelevant in high power system), only reason I could see for such a setup would be to limit the output of a bms too powerful for a given controller. What do you think ?

ive seen 2 fuses in the hailong cases, charge and discharge. i cut them out and move them where i can change them easily. the CA controls my amps, the controller controls my amps

qwerkus said:
I keep seeing packs with an automotive fuse sitting behind a bms, and I wonder what's the point. Even in a pure redundancy scenario, a proper bms will trigger an OCP way before the fuse would melt, and die if the OCP fails. Even in that extreme case, the main discharge would be instantly cut off, so when exactly would the automotive fuse melt ?
Since a fuse adds some sort of resistance (though I agree: irrelevant in high power system), only reason I could see for such a setup would be to limit the output of a bms too powerful for a given controller. What do you think ?
MOSFETs often fail as a short circuit. So if the BMS didn't turn them off fast enough in a short circuit condition, they could potentially be overloaded and fail as a short circuit.

I have a BMS with an array of high quality MOSFETs, but I also run a large automotive fuse as redundancy in case shit happens. Have you ever seem the spark that a high power 84VDC battery can make? Boom.

serious_sam said:
qwerkus said:
MOSFETs often fail as a short circuit. So if the BMS didn't turn them off fast enough in a short circuit condition, they could potentially be overloaded and fail as a short circuit.

I have a BMS with an array of high quality MOSFETs, but I also run a large automotive fuse as redundancy in case shit happens. Have you ever seem the spark that a high power 84VDC battery can make? Boom.

Thanks for the explanation, though I never witnessed it. Over the last 5 years I've seen at least 20pc 10 to 14s dead bms of various quality, and all of them cut off discharge, even with shorted fets - hence my question. Maybe those bms had inbuilt fuses ?

Back