Big spark from the charge port

BCBeaver

10 mW
I decided to pull my battery off my bike last night because it was going to be getting cold and my bike lives in an unheated garage. It is also a fairly dimly lit garage. I couldn't really see what I was doing and I stuck the key in the charge port resulting in a large spark. I burned the - contact basically off. The battery has a full charge and will still run my bike but I can't charge it. I happened to have a charge port kicking around so I replaced it. When I plug in the charger nothing happens, the light stays green as if there was no load on the charger. As I mentioned I have a full charge so possibly the charger isn't charging because it doesn't need to but in my experience the charger charges for a few minutes when first connected to a full battery. I'm going to ride it to work tomorrow then try charging again but I suspect I cooked the BMS.

Has anyone else done this (and are willing to admit it) and what was the resultant damage?

It's a 13.5 AH 48V battery I bought from Luna about 5 years ago. Assuming I need a BMS what are chances of it being a matter of unplug the old and plug in the new?

i did that omce and it fried the bms so the bike didnt run, bms was fried :D maybe theres a fuse inside for the charge. in my hailong battery there was a 10amp fuse for charge and 40amp for discharge, if youre lucky its a blown fuse

Mine is a hailong battery too. I didn't see any fuses, are they hiding under the BMS? I still have 54v on the charge port and discharge contacts, so I suspect there is no fuse blown if there is one.

I've got 3-4 trips to work and this thing becomes a paperweight.

Back