Adding Current and Voltage Controls.

wozzlegummich

100 µW
I have a Chinese built (what isn't these days) SANS ELECTRONICS Co. 48V 5.0 amp Li Ion battery charger model number SSLC300V55 that is the high current upgrade model that comes with a MATE X eBike.

My question is is it possible to add potentiometers for adjustable current and voltage easily? Or is there a device I can add inline post-charger to control these?

You may want to take a look at this. Most generic chargers do have some voltage and current adjustability via some trim potentiometers inside:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViORzKrOfHU

I suppose you could add an external trim pot that matches the range of the on inside (if it has one).

you can connect a buck converter between the charger and battery. You need a buck converter that can handle the range your looking for. The buck converters have two small screws , one for voltage and one for current, and they are cc/cv chargers. I use buck converters to charge all my li-ion and lifepo4 they give the battery a good charge.

On my buck converters I added an led volt/amp meter to see charge status in real time. Also having an led meter makes it easier to adjust the volt/amps output instead of using a multimeter.

You can find buck converters anywhere from 10 to 40 dollars depending on wattage they can handle.

30a buck converter
1 30a buck converter.jpg

Buck converter with led volt/amp meter. I connect this in between the power source and battery.
buck converter 300 watt.jpg

Some buck converters have auto-termination cutoff built in, many do not.

Essential to battery charging IMO.

As is solid current limiting - those that have adjustable current de-rating should be fine

but many with voltage adjustment only, will burn out if the pack pulls more than they can deliver

or latching OCP cuts out like a breaker, nearly as bad.

So yes, these DCDC can be made to work, but not always straightforward

Grin Satiator AC chargers have all these controls built in, but are priced accordingly - nothing lije cheap Chinese stuff.

You need to know what MAIN microchip your charger uses.. but yea should be simple once you see that data.

Prolly a Tl494? https://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/electronics/portable-lightweight-lifepo4-ebike-battery-charger-800g Here is a typical schematic with the pots.

Back