which solder to use and is this right?

papasapien

10 mW
someone said i should use silver solder to connect my battery lead wires to the battery. what do you guys think? why not regular solder 60/40 or 63/37?

also does this look right for my battery? the way i have the end wires for best current flow? with the stitched together wires? is that okay right?
newbat.png

the pack will have a max continuous discharge of 40 amps possible but my controller will only ever pull 35.

also what will the difference be if i use 63/37 vs 60/40? is that better recommended for electrical reasons or just solder preference?
thanks

60/40 melts quickly, 3 seconds with a 60 watt iron and the joint is done and the battery doesnt get hot but if youre spot welding the pack, solder first then spot weld the nickel strip to the battery. i tried 63/37 from a local store and didnt like it, it might have been when i was using a 40 watt iron and getting bad/cold joints, so i put it on the shelf and rode 30km to get the 60/40

papasapien said:
also what will the difference be if i use 63/37 vs 60/40? is that better recommended for electrical reasons or just solder preference?

No practical difference either way. The performance of the flux in the core will make more difference than the alloy.

Lead free? That's another matter, and something to steer clear of.

This is the brand I been using for years, its also 60/40 and 0.8mm is a good size, not too small or large. It works as good as the kester brand. I got 3 rolls always ready to go.

1 solder 6040.jpg

Balmorhea said:
papasapien said:

No practical difference either way. The performance of the flux in the core will make more difference than the alloy.

why stay free of lead-free tinning flux? been using it for 2 years with no battery issues and ive soldered up 5 packs using it

goatman said:
Balmorhea said:
why stay free of lead-free tinning flux? been using it for 2 years with no battery issues and ive soldered up 5 packs using it

I was talking about solder, not flux.

Lead free solders have higher melting points and poor wetting compared to traditional tin-lead electrical solder, in my observation. I use them for plumbing, but not for electric applications.

Back