Common charge/discharge wiring w/ Sabvoton controller

Yermommy

10 W
I have a battery pack with common charge/discharge wires. Because the same wires are used for charging and discharging, I'm attempting to creating a way to charge my battery without unplugging it from the controller. I've attached an image of an idea I mocked up. If you can't see the image, here's my idea: If I connect the discharging wires to the terminal block on my controller and then also connect a new set of wires for charging (screwed on top of the terminals), can I safely charge my battery without harming the controller? If the controller is turned off, I don't see why there would be any problem. I have searched all over the internet but I cannot find a discussion or example of how this can work. I want to avoid splitting the discharge wire with a banana connector, its really not ideal.

Attachments

• charge setup.jpg
    charge setup.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 191
yes, this is how every battery in a device is charged.

just NEVER connect the charger without turning it on first. if you dont the battery and capacitors in the controller (wich are extremely powerful) will dump their energy into the empty capacitors of the charger and blow it up. this is especially important on cheap chargers without sufficient protections.

flippy said:
yes, this is how every battery in a device is charged.

just NEVER connect the charger without turning it on first. if you dont the battery and capacitors in the controller (wich are extremely powerful) will dump their energy into the empty capacitors of the charger and blow it up. this is especially important on cheap chargers without sufficient protections.

Thanks for confirming, I’m familiar with the sequence of first plugging in the charger.

FWIW, I keep my charger (meanwell HLG-600H-54A) permanently wired in parallel with the controllers' battery connections, as you want to do (although you're not making it a permanent connection).

This is partly for convenience, and partly so I can monitor charging just like I do discharging, thru the shunt the Cycle Analyst monitors power usage with. The controllers *and* the charger are connected or disconnected to/from the battery by my main switch, on the positive side (and there's a fuse too, right at the battery terminal).

The disadvantage to permanent connection is that the charger (at least in my case) isn't a complete open circuit when it's not powered from AC, so it has a tiny drain (few mA, IIRC) on the system anytime the system is switched on, when the charger is not powered from AC (when it is powered from AC, it is charging, so no drain).

Back