Using a high rating charger

I have 60v 30ah battery ( NMC ) ( 2.9AH each cell) . For charging I used a 71.4V / 5A charger . But now it wasn't working . Can I use 84v/10a charger ? Is it ok ? Or will damage the battery?

No, it is not okay -- that's almost 5V per cell, and quite likely to burn your house down.

Best would be a charger where you can adjust the voltage,

also current even better, like Grin's.

But the maximum voltage output must match pretty closely the charge spec for the battery,

a little under is OK, but not even 0.1V over

Would it be ok to bring the voltage down with diodes in a case like this? I'm kind of in the same situation with a 10a 84v charger and an 18s2p lipo pack( 6x 5ah 6s packs), using a hobby balance charger to charge each pack individually at the mo but it's a full day job and I have a dozen 30a bridge rectifiers to hand.

stan.distortion said:
Would it be ok to bring the voltage down with diodes in a case like this? I'm kind of in the same situation with a 10a 84v charger and an 18s2p lipo pack( 6x 5ah 6s packs), using a hobby balance charger to charge each pack individually at the mo but it's a full day job and I have a dozen 30a bridge rectifiers to hand.
As recently discussed, no
Get a proper 18s bulk charger -- they're cheap
Or balance charge in parallel

You could drop the voltage using diodes, but they will get really hot and need a huge heat sink. For just a few amps, it's not too bad.

Unless your charger is fully potted, you should be able to adjust the voltage. Many times there is a trimmer pot on the board that allows some range of adjustment. Some are fixed, but there is always going to be a resistor somewhere that can be changed to lower the voltage.

fechter said:
You could drop the voltage using diodes, but they will get really hot and need a huge heat sink. For just a few amps, it's not too bad.

Unless your charger is fully potted, you should be able to adjust the voltage. Many times there is a trimmer pot on the board that allows some range of adjustment. Some are fixed, but there is always going to be a resistor somewhere that can be changed to lower the voltage.

Thanks :) I've used that voltage drop before in small circuits but was very wary of trying it on a battery pack in case I was missing something stupid, the voltages creep up and equalise after a time or something along those lines. I had a look for a trimmer on that charger but don't see any and working out where the relevant resistors are could be beyond me, will start a thread or find one on the same when it comes to getting that job done
Thanks again :thumb:

You really are better off with a proper charger - designed to self terminate the charge cycle based on some kind of "smarts" judging the pack is Full

or use a separate HVC circuit that isolates the source's input.

If that HVC is adjustable, then a dumb PSU or converter will do

so long as it's hard coded not much higher than the maximum specified voltage for that pack.

Then, if you have a BMS, that can act as your redundant failsafe HVC set a little higher, in case the other regulatory circuitry fails.

john61ct said:

But the maximum voltage output must match pretty closely the charge spec for the battery,

Even with the BMS ????

Shortcircuit said:
Does the BMS protect the battery?
As evidenced in this subforum, not frequently enough to bet on your house not burning down.

Shortcircuit said:
john61ct said:

Even with the BMS ????
Absolutely. The chargers that have the intelligence to be controlled by a BMS cost many hundreds if not thousands.

BMS are just failsafe backup, not primary regulation

Back