12V Battery system for Small Travel Trailer

AF7JA

100 W
I recently got a small Travel Trailer, a Casita 17' and I am thinking of adding a Li-Po and some Solar panels.

I have about 370W of solar panels, from another project, lying about. I will need a 12V battery and controller. I am aware that I can use the Lead-Acid batteries that are currently in it, However, there are a lot of advantages of Li-Po.

My needs are the water pump, assorted LED lights, probably some amateur radio, a CPAP, and the possibility of want to charge a 60V electric bicycle.

The water pump will probably see about 10-20 minutes of use per day 12V @ 4.4A

The CPAP will probably see about 7-8 hours per night:
Input 12V/24V 13/6.5A
Peak power consumption
Air10 / Lumis 106W
Typical power consumption
Air10 / Lumis 51W
I will not die if it stops working. But I won't sleep well at all.

As far as the e-bike, I suspect that I will be better off putting a separate charge controller in for it and running it parallel to the house charge controller. But that is not stage 1. Stage 1 is the house power.

I have not built a battery before. I could get a spot welder if I needed to. However, I see a lot of 12V 30,000ma/h batteries on Ali-Express. I can't help but think that about four of those in parallel and I would be done.

Any suggestions on cheap 12V that will meet my needs?

I see a lot of 12V 30,000ma/h batteries on Ali-Express

Take these numbers with a large grain of salt. It may actually be a good product, but these companies are well-known to greatly exaggerate their numbers.

For 12V, you might research some RV chat forums, and look for info on 4S LiFePO4 batteries. 4S is common because they are nominal 3.2V

The large cells come with threaded posts, and are easy to connect into a pack.

If you don't mind the pack cycling between 10V and 12V, there are hybrid car cells that can be bought and configured for 3S LiPo.

spinningmagnets said:
For 12V, you might research some RV chat forums, and look for info on 4S LiFePO4 batteries. 4S is common because they are nominal 3.2V
I agree and would exclusively recommend a 4s LFP (LiFePO4) for 12V automotive-related use, as it can be connected to the 12V automotive system: charge from alternator, parallel with AGM battery, etc.

Back