New EM3EV Shark battery has different charge port

raylo32

100 kW
***Edit*** I was looking in the wrong part of the Grin website. They do have the adapter I need to work with the Satiator to charge the new battery that has the ST3 port. But I don't see an adapter to convert the ST charger output to the old style charge port. I suppose I could strip the insulation and add a pigtail with an Anderson plug and use my existing adapter.

So I have an EM3EV super shark battery I bought from them in 2019 along with a Grin Satiator... great battery, still working fine... great charger. But my fleet is expanding so I just got another similar super shark pack from them and a ST charger to keep at a separate location. Poor naive me I thought I'd be able to charge both batteries with either charger... but NO. The new battery has a different port configuration and my Grin does not have an appropriate adapter. And the ST charger that fits the new battery does not have an adapter to fit the old battery. Buying all this gear from EM3EV I did not expect to run into compatibility issues. Crikey! Does anyone know of a USA (or Canada, I suppose) source for the necessary adapters?? Grin does not appear to have anything like this.. .at least on their website.

Old battery (top) and new battery (bottom)
Batteries.jpg

Adapter that came with my Grin that works with old battery
Grin adapter.jpg

OK... I pretty much have what I need. Grin sells an XLR to ST3 male adapter so that will let me charge the ST3 battery from the Grin. Grin also sells an ST3 battery charging port (female ST3) and I can cut off the XT plug and replace it with Anderson plugs so I can plug the ST charger into that and that into the adapter pictured above to use the ST charger for the old battery.

Question: what is that old 3-prong format called? And where can I get another one of these adapters? This came with my Grin Satiator but they don't have anything like it on their website. I'd like to have 2, one for each location instead of carrying it around and maybe losing it.

Yes, FINALLY a connector rated for higher Amp charge rates.

Cusmade is one maker, ST3 is a commonly used description.

https://california-ebike.com/shop/anderson-to-st3-charger-adapter-cable/

raylo32 said:
OK... I pretty much have what I need. Grin sells an XLR to STE male adapter so that will let me charge the ST3 battery from the Grin. Grin also sells an ST3 battery charging port (female ST3) and I can cut off the XT plug and replace it with Anderson plugs so I can plug the ST charger into that and that into the adapter pictured above to use the ST charger for the old battery.

Question: what is that old 3-prong format called? And where can I get another one of these adapters? This came with my Grin Satiator but they don't have anything like it on their website. I'd like to have 2, one for each location instead of carrying it around and maybe losing it.

Have you looked at the Grin connector page? You can find the correct nomenclature there.

I saw that one but ended up getting this instead since Grin also had the female ST3 I need to make the ST charger work with the old battery. https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/charger-accessories/xlr-st3.html

Alls I need now is another one of the old adapters pictured above so I can charge the old battery in both places without carrying the adapter. But even though they made this one (came with the Satiator) Grin doesn't seem to have them??

tomjasz said:
Yes, FINALLY a connector rated for higher Amp charge rates.

Cusmade is one maker, ST3 is a commonly used description.

https://california-ebike.com/shop/anderson-to-st3-charger-adapter-cable/

Yes I did. I didn't see this connector or any adapters there , even though this is what came with my Satiator in 2019.

tomjasz said:
raylo32 said:
OK... I pretty much have what I need. Grin sells an XLR to STE male adapter so that will let me charge the ST3 battery from the Grin. Grin also sells an ST3 battery charging port (female ST3) and I can cut off the XT plug and replace it with Anderson plugs so I can plug the ST charger into that and that into the adapter pictured above to use the ST charger for the old battery.

Have you looked at the Grin connector page? You can find the correct nomenclature there.

Making up simple adapter pigtails should be a required skill for anyone serious about the hobby.

Not rocket science, whole community to help you learn.

LOL... I can make pigtails just fine. I found everything I need except one connector. This one... Not the Anderson end... the male 3 pin end for charging the 2019 EM3EV super shark battery that has the matching female charge port. The alternative is to open up the old battery and change the port to ST3 type. Grin sells those, but I'd rather avoid that extra work.

Grin adapter.jpg

john61ct said:
Making up simple adapter pigtails should be a required skill for anyone serious about the hobby.

Not rocket science, whole community to help you learn.

Back