Build your own Battery Kit to start a beginner?

austin2359

10 mW
Everyone has to start somewhere. My goal is to become good at this, but right now I'm a pure beginner.

Is there a step by step dummy kit that would give me all the tools I need and then in black and white walk me through the steps?

"Take this, connect it to that, take this spot welder, put it here, then do this ...." without me having to track down 15 different parts. It's too overwhelming to start without having things extremely organized and some clear kit would help.

No. Start with a couple weeks' reading past threads, googling to understand new jargon etc.

Lead battery is a much more straightforward and cheaper way to start.

There isn't a complete kit that I know of. But, you can buy a plastic holder with nickel included. I would check out the ANNPower aliexpres store.

austin2359 said:
Everyone has to start somewhere. My goal is to become good at this, but right now I'm a pure beginner.

Is there a step by step dummy kit that would give me all the tools I need and then in black and white walk me through the steps?
With the recent increase in the price of name brand cells going the DIY route is becoming more expensive unless you plan on several DIY builds.

There's less frustration, less chance of error, less expense and quicker to just buy a unitpackpower battery ... https://www.uppbattery.com/ ... and ... https://unitpackpower.aliexpress.com/store/1178407

After reading this excellent article you will either get more excited or more hesitant about a DIY build ... https://www.ebikeschool.com/how-to-build-a-diy-electric-bicycle-lithium-battery-from-18650-cells/

My own take is don't invest in an AOK spot-welder unless you plan on building other battery packs from say salvaged/used/off-brand cells as well as good/reliable cells

Just because all the other dingdongs are building welded packs doesn't mean you have to do it too.

I built my first DIY pack from 25Ah rectangular cells with threaded studs. It was pretty easy. Certainly easier, more reliable, more capable, and more maintainable than a welded pack made out of vape pen cells.

Chalo said:
Just because all the other dingdongs are building welded packs doesn't mean you have to do it too.

I built my first DIY pack from 25Ah rectangular cells with threaded studs. It was pretty easy. Certainly easier, more reliable, more capable, and more maintainable than a welded pack made out of vape pen cells.
And here i thought i was a "dingdong" for not having purchased a spot-welder months ago :wink:

eMark said:
Chalo said:

And here i thought i was a "dingdong" for not having purchased a spot-welder months ago :wink:
All's well that ends well... if it ends well.

You can buy cylindrical cans with posts for easy assembly. Headway had them but those were bulky and heavy.

You can buy cylindrical cans with tabs already spot welded on them, NKON where you can easily solder wire with drastically reduced heat thennon spot welded cans.

Lots of people buy tool batteries and use them in stock form with stock chargers. Like the Ego 52V packs for lawn mowers.

Others buy tool batteries and open them up, ditch the circuit board and solder wire onto the tabs to make the pack they want. Like the Makita 5S2P, good for 36V or 72V

Others throw the dice on mystery bag on Alibaba/Aliexpress/Ebay/Amazon

The smart ones with pockets of cash, buy their batteries from reputable battery sellers.

The dinosaur ones use Lead Acid, like golf cart batteries are 12V 250Ah but weight a ton, lots of dino sizes to chose from. You lose about 25-30% Ah just for the fact their lead acid. Other factors come into play to.

Others use Lipo batteries, like from Hobbyking which have a dud rate of 15% or so.

Some have lots of time on their hands and would like to save a few bucks so they build their own packs from cans. Some solder directly onto the can, others use home made spot tab welder, others buy a welder.

Many ways to do it.

If you want to build a pack yourself, I dont recommend it, but...I understand the appeal. Heres a link thats a good start on the research...

https://www.electricbike.com/introduction-battery-design-1/

Perhaps consider building a small 4S LiFePO4 jumper box, to start your car when its battery is low? Its small and much cheaper than an ebike battery...

Its a useful first project.

Back