Low temperature solder paste (138c)

Has anyone use this kind of solder paste for joining 18650 cell? The solder paste melt at 138 degree centigrade, so it’s not as high as normal tin solder. I’m thinking about using this type of solder paste to connect fuse wire to the copper busbar (flattened copper pipe).

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Low melting point solders have a couple of limitations for things that take a lot of power. One is that their conductivity isn't always very good, and the other is that they flow at a low temperature and thus can unstick just when things are getting interesting. Because of their electrical resistance, low melting point solder joints potentially could be localized hot spots in an otherwise cool power bus. So your fuse wire might decide to fuse open early.

In the past, I've used pure indium (salvaged from cryo vacuum chamber seals) to do low temp soldering. It's soft, mechanically weak, and expensive, but its electrical and thermal conductivity are even better than the best conventional solders.

I just soldered a battery up using lead solder (I really don't know why this stuff is still sold tbh but it is) and have had very good results. I used 0.25mm copper cut into 7mm wide strips.

The key is to have a really good iron, tin the copper and cell then make the join. All operations can be done with barely 2 seconds of contact and so compared to spot welding where it glows orange, I can't see this being more damaging to the cell.

I also use unleaded solder paste but had trouble making it wet. If you use the ultra low temp stuff you may find this is a problem, depending on whether whatever flux it contains is effective on the nickel cells at such low temp.

Chalo said:
Low melting point solders have a couple of limitations for things that take a lot of power. One is that their conductivity isn't always very good, and the other is that they flow at a low temperature and thus can unstick just when things are getting interesting. Because of their electrical resistance, low melting point solder joints potentially could be localized hot spots in an otherwise cool power bus. So your fuse wire might decide to fuse open early.

In the past, I've used pure indium (salvaged from cryo vacuum chamber seals) to do low temp soldering. It's soft, mechanically weak, and expensive, but its electrical and thermal conductivity are even better than the best conventional solders.
Thank you for your reply. It clarified my hesitation from using it.

mxlemming said:
I just soldered a battery up using lead solder (I really don't know why this stuff is still sold tbh but it is) and have had very good results. I used 0.25mm copper cut into 7mm wide strips.

The key is to have a really good iron, tin the copper and cell then make the join. All operations can be done with barely 2 seconds of contact and so compared to spot welding where it glows orange, I can't see this being more damaging to the cell.

I also use unleaded solder paste but had trouble making it wet. If you use the ultra low temp stuff you may find this is a problem, depending on whether whatever flux it contains is effective on the nickel cells at such low temp.
Thank you for your reply. I’m planning to use a 100w solder. I have a battery spot welder, so I’m only use solder for the positive pole of the battery, I will use the spot welder on the negative pole.

Back