Help Paralleling Lipos

rg12

100 kW
I have 9pcs 7S packs and need to connect it to a 21S 3P.
The question is, if I connect 3 sets of 21S, then I need to parallel everything.
Can I parallel just the first negative and last positive wires of all 3 groups?
Bare in mind that I'm connecting them to a BMS and will have balance wires paralleling each cell individually to the same cell number in each 3 groups.

Batteries have to be within 0.01V when paralleling.

As far as the BMS goes, since the lipo's themselves dont have a bms but do come with balance wires, you want one overall bms, with all 3 parallel batteries balance wires connected in parallel. Probably not a good thing to add another factor (the bms) to lipos, probably best to buy 3 balance chargers to balance charge the 3 batteries you will have in parallel and buy balance chargers with enough power
1) overall bulk charging power
but also 2) balance power (iChargers, Tenergy, Hobbykings Turnigy)

markz said:
Batteries have to be within 0.01V when paralleling.

As far as the BMS goes, since the lipo's themselves dont have a bms but do come with balance wires, you want one overall bms, with all 3 parallel batteries balance wires connected in parallel. Probably not a good thing to add another factor (the bms) to lipos, probably best to buy 3 balance chargers to balance charge the 3 batteries you will have in parallel and buy balance chargers with enough power
1) overall bulk charging power
but also 2) balance power (iChargers, Tenergy, Hobbykings Turnigy)

I have to have a bms to cut power to avoid depleting or over charging.

I have done this before with 8pcs 5S connected as two parallel units of 4 packs in series but in that situation it was easy enough to parallel the packs not just with the first negative and last positive as suggested here.

I'd worry about lateral currents. Why not use a heavier wire to cross at the balance points, not a balance wire. 16G wouldn't be too hard would it? There wouldn't be lateral currents in the ideal world, but if one set of 7S is mismatched, one end of a parallel group might sag.

Well, since you have done this before maybe you can teach us something.
I would be curious how you charged your 20S 3P BMS equipped packs?
Thank you in advance

Back