Building a 12v Van Battery

danmar713

10 mW
Hi All! I am currently building a battery bank for my campervan, I am working with Lithium cells that are rated at 3.2v 100 AH
I am joining these cells in parallel and then in series for a total of 8 cells at 12v 200 AH - also adding a BMS :D
(replace the tape with copper plates)

My question is in the middle where I would use a copper plate joining the 4 cells in parallel and series, would that create a short/not work altogether or is there a better way? Any tips or advice is much appreciated in advance, I am obviously kind of a novice lol :p

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 469
Looks like a plate would be good. as to the edited pic.
Vanbattery.png
by danmar713 » Sep 21 2021 4:21pm

Hi All! I am currently building a battery bank for my campervan, I am working with Lithium cells that are rated at 3.2v 100 AH
I am joining these cells in parallel and then in series for a total of 8 cells at 12v 200 AH - also adding a BMS :D
(replace the tape with copper plates)

My question is in the middle where I would use a copper plate joining the 4 cells in parallel and series, would that create a short/not work altogether or is there a better way? Any tips or advice is much appreciated in advance, I am obviously kind of a novice lol :p

Until the villagers marched up to Frankenstein's Castle with pitch forks and torches. Burnt the Castle down the villagers did but alas the Monster call spam had escaped into the wild. The Monster still plagues us today evading capture forever.

Are you going to buy a balancer? Then you would follow it's wiring diagram.

I would feel better if you followed good thread on the subject. I can give you the basics but do not feel comfortable telling you how you should do it.

surprised no one else has not chimed in.

1. Balance leads should not be bigger than you need.
2. You have 4 parallel groups. 4 negative wires and one positive. will always have one more wire than P groups. Yours 5 wires.
3. Connect the positive wire on the positive end of the battery.
4. Each Negative side of a P group will have a negative wire. 4 P groups, 4 wires. (each series connection will have a negative wire and one on the negative end)
5. Keep these wires in order. Starting with positive wire and work back thru the series connections.
6. You have enough wires to test or charge one group at a time not all at the same time.

If anything is unclear then you should read some threads until this is understood. It is simple after you know it. It is hard when you don't. Not everyone gets this. I am in no way a battery expert and different companies and people may change up the way they do it. Improper use can cause shorts, burn wires and cause a fire. That's my disclaimer. :lol:

I'm looking for some threads with one good picture. Most battery have P groups that are flipped to Series them easer and the pics only show half the wires..

Back