BMS Question.

Noosi

10 µW
Vapcell li ion battery 18650 M35 3500mah 10A / 25A 3.7V high power
14s5p Setup.

What is a safe BMS to run with a BBSHD motor.
I am fairly new to building batteries.

BBSHD is limited to 30A stock. You should look for a BMS that is rated for at least 50A or so and have a balancing function. There are some fancy bluetooth programmable ones and some very simple basic ones. Personally, I like the simple ones. There are also "common port" and "split port" styles. Common port just means you charge and discharge through the same terminals. Split port or two port designs use a separate set of terminals for charging and discharging. For this power level, it won't make much difference.

Here's an example, but I can't vouch for this particular model.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2745210769...ITijlFILzjgj8g%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

Awesome thank you, your explanation has helped me alot.

Also does the BMS have to be the same voltage or higher then the pack itself? The 60a bms that I am searching up are all coming back 48v when my cell is 51.8

Noosi said:
Also does the BMS have to be the same voltage or higher then the pack itself? The 60a bms that I am searching up are all coming back 48v when my cell is 51.8

You buy the BMS according to the S-count and cell chemistry.

48V nominal is 16S for LFP,

13S for li-ion or LiPo

21S for LTO

Charging setpoint 54 to 55V, but that is nothing to do with BMS, they usually only look at the per-cell HVC

Noosi said:
Awesome thank you, your explanation has helped me alot.

You want one made for 14 series Li-ion cells. Ignore the voltage. When searching, put 14s in the search term. With many of the cheaper ones, it's possible to use models with more than 14s and bypass the unused channels, but there are plenty of 14s models out there.

I can thoroughly recommend the Bluetooth-enabled Neptune speedict 15. I use it on a 1000W hub and works extremely well, you can see exactly what your battery is doing. The designer/company owner posts on this forum and stands behind the product- when I accidentally killed one they sent another out for the cost of postage!

Back