New Easy Lithium Weldless Box crowdfunding project

Hi everybody, I'm going to start a foundation for easy lithium boxes, unless i have to agree with investors on a long term profit based model, to make this available, quality funded and open sourced, like arduino, that's why i'm going to start with the community to get the project running.

Major credits go to other weldless researchers, i.e. JDevo, AM-Tech, DavidC and many others. If It goes O.K. I'll give free electrical prizes to at least 3 ES'ers who worked a lot on weldless tech and 10% discount for all prior ES member, plus another 10% discount if i reach a high enough funding to supply 26650 within year 1. I want to be very inclusive with this technology launch attempt. This version can be built blindfolded, which is a new level of easy of use. It uses adjustable springs, no alloy conductors, pure nickel contacts, heavy copper busbars.

[youtube]UbgJXZ8EScs[/youtube]

It's only officially for LiFePo4 at the start, funding can let us go onto li-ion.

The shell can be 3D printed for free using certified plastic VL94V0.

Cheers!

Attachments

• design notes for-bbox1c.jpg
    design notes for-bbox1c.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 904
that is not something many users would want

unheard of in a solderless no-weld design

pretty much requires welding the fusible link to the cell

Trampa claims cell level fusing using an integrated PTC in the PCB battery contact.

https://trampaboards.com/18650-pcb-pack-with-integrated-bms--fits-mkiv-classic-monster-box--84-x-18650-cells-to-give-21000-mah-21a-of-range---p-28977.html

Mart76 said:
looks good. I am missing cell-level-fusing.
Thanks John! design for some SMD disk cell level fuses, I will add them if you wish.
[youtube]UFo1B0MGnpE[/youtube]
It adds a bit to the price and complexity, especially in a box where you can easily check and change the cells. Samsung/LG/panasonic all integrate cell-level PTC switch and microfoam nanoporous technology in the battery which melts and stops ions going through if there are high temperatures.

I just programmed 3D for 12 hours to upgrade the 25 seconds of the video, and i have nervous exhaustion so I can't redub the audio. It's 100% designed in France lol

zzoing said:
Do you think that that the green energy movement wants a 26650 vs 21700 format box the most? ( 26650 LiFePo from china is about 70 cents for 6000mAh for camping-cars and off-grid energy).

There aren’t any REAL lifepo4 in 26650 capable of 6ah.
The most energy dense lifepo4 I think is these
https://batteryhookup.com/products/16-k2-26650-3800mah-lifepo4-cells

Only A123/LithiumWerks is not misleading

The greater the mAh claimed for a given predefined form factor

the more skeptical you should be of the brand and the seller

Apples to apples coddling care, I'd be surprised if they delivered even 50% of the lifespan A123 does.

In stressful conditions maybe 20-30%

Hey it's awesome to see the A123 is still deliver top quality lithium. Yes I recall that some chinese LiFePo doesn't even handle cold temperature charging, do you think A123 has solved that issue of liFePo, i.e. if you charge them at 5'C they go tits up?

I can change the company name at any time, i'm trying to see what works... perhaps ba7group is better for the moment?

john61ct said:
Only A123/LithiumWerks is not misleading

The greater the mAh claimed for a given predefined form factor

the more skeptical you should be of the brand and the seller

Apples to apples coddling care, I'd be surprised if they delivered even 50% of the lifespan A123 does.

In stressful conditions maybe 20-30%
I’ve run discharge tests on these k2 cells and they showed well at 1.0 and and 3.5 amp discharge. Can’t say anything about cycle life at this point though. (I also have a lot of A123 and just a random pic of the constant load I use to test)

Attachments

• 8F446981-2478-4629-B053-498BE449D2C2.jpeg
    8F446981-2478-4629-B053-498BE449D2C2.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 813
zzoing said:
I can change the company name at any time, i'm trying to see what works... perhaps ba7group is better for the moment?
The name isn’t important compared to the box. You have a bunch of big claims in ur video related to the box but then say it’s not done and the crowd finding money would go to multiple people to design it. Why not just get to the heart of the matter and design and test a single box? People who would want to buy a box will want to know what kind of current it can do and will want to be assured of how durable it is and you make a lot of claims related to durability. How about showing how durable it is? Testing.

zzoing said:
Hey it's awesome to see the A123 is still deliver top quality lithium. Yes I recall that some chinese LiFePo doesn't even handle cold temperature charging, do you think A123 has solved that issue of liFePo, i.e. if you charge them at 5'C they go tits up?
Chemistry is chemistry. Anything over 0.4C requires higher temperatures to avoid losing cycle lifetime.

Just because a battery is better quality in other performance specs, does not make it more tolerant of fast charging below 20°C

Winston made extraordinary cold temp claims, specifically the founder Winston Chung Hing Ka, but I never saw them verified, everyone is super skeptical.

As far as "tits up" that low point, dendrite formation at say 0.01C rate depends on the specs from mfg, I'd say - 10°C would be a ballpark if no datasheet is available.

LTO is the only LI chemistry afaik that can handle 5C charge rate without reduced lifespan.

It can also handle a lower temperature (vs C-rate curve)

zzoing said:
Hi everybody, ...

Hi

Awesome work. You'll be on my awsome list with jehgarcia hbpowerwall. ebike.ca guy and many more

From the looks of it I think it is very promising.

Hey Leffex! That's so nice i'm lost for words. I'll mission to implement the best quality :)

I have to publish a technical description to this forum, because a millionaire patented AM Tech's 2014 illustrations in 2018 as a patent, and I have to avoid that, otherwise a lawyer some day can tell me i didn't publish this idea and I can't make it myself... Personnally my ideal is that this is open sourced to all companies that don't have labor union surveillance and offshore accounts :)

Attachments

• battery box mechamisms technical description antony stewart.jpg
    battery box mechamisms technical description antony stewart.jpg
    701.3 KB · Views: 718
here's the same for the breadboard. It's just to avoid someone telling me one day that i can't sell these because some lawyer sais so! I want to do startups in acoustics, education projects, robotics, if i can one day, so this lithium technology will be one for free files choice of compatible variants that all can fit in the same spaces.

Attachments

• easy battery box breadboard connection system technical descriptionA antony stewart.jpg
    easy battery box breadboard connection system technical descriptionA antony stewart.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 731
I previously tested a 54 cell 3D printed box at 1.5 KW and the batteries were far in excess of their maximum ratings, the box ran cool. I sampled 100 impact continuity tests at 48KHz (i need to record 50MHz).

Project status is:

- Messed up the preview video, it's a bit embarassing.

- Had incredible response from the community, was lost for words at the kindness and encouragement, had 100 subscriptions on the mailing list in 7 days.

- Now editing a funnier and nicer video including BMS schematics. (BMS pics are lacking insulation, OK)

- This work gives me brain fog so then I can't present the new video because i get exhausted :?

- You can get this 3D bbox viewing program for PC and Mac soon:

Attachments

• easy bbox animation video.jpg
    easy bbox animation video.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 595
  • lithium box animation 1.jpg
    lithium box animation 1.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 594
What’s the silver colored round contact and how does it attach to the copper?

Attachments

• EC91AFEB-F6FF-4C64-9014-395052BFC03B.png
    EC91AFEB-F6FF-4C64-9014-395052BFC03B.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 548
It's laser cut and polished 2mm pure nickel disks welded onto 1mm copper, which is welded using flux and solder, although it can be spot and ultrasound welded too. An advantage of using nickel contacts in high vibration settings is that the contacts become a mirror-flat shim, thereby increasing the contact area.

The batteries are clamped in 2kg force electrical contacts and they weigh 50 grams, so moving them via newtonian mechanics impulses requires forces that are equivalent to jumping off high ledges without even padding the battery box...

It's possible to use weldable nickel plated aluminium, i'd just go with whatever is highest performance and least costly.

Back