Any way to WELD to Aluminium tabs of LiPo cells?

izeman

1 GW
Is there a way to properly weld nickel tabs to the aluminium tabs of these LiPos cells?
I tried soldering them with different special alumnium flux, but it never lasted very long.
Is a spot welder capable of this? Afaik the nickel tabs are welded with ultrasonic welder, which obviously I don't have.

IMG_7088.JPG

This might be relevant
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74917

There are also some threads I remember but haven't found (JonesCG?) about nickel-plating aluminum busbars and such so they could then be soldered or welded. Tabs should be plateable too; only need to plate the part you're going to connect to.

Cell-man refers specifically to welding nickel tabs to aluminum tabs, saying that "many" do this, but I couldn't find a reference to a procedure.
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21519#p314109

Thanks amberwolf. I've already read those two threads. I know chances are like zero, but i was hoping that in the mean time (since I last tried some years ago) someone invented some crazy new stuff ;)
It's a shame.
My 150 cell 15s10p build made of 30Q cells SUCKS badly after 4 years. It hasn't seen a lot of cycles, but still some cells are just dying. They see massive self discharge with no real reason. The cells next to them are super fine.
Then I swapped out 10 cells of the pack (was a nightmare to do, as the pack is not serviceable at all) and now some other cells started to sag.

But I still got about a dozen Turnigy/Hobbyking 5000mAh 6s packs that are like 10 years old now and still show storage voltage. Maybe I will reinstall those. Was happy to move away from LiPo, but it seems even those high quality brand named LiIon cells can fail badly :(

Any prices per cell went up dramatically. I remember having paid around 2.5 per 30Q cell. Now it's more than double that price - well, I wouldn't buy them anyway ;)

IMG_0420.JPG

Back