High voltage bms anyone?

rg12

100 kW
I worked with Orion before and am trying to get their 180S version for an urgent project but the shortest lead time I received is 10-12 weeks!

So the urgency lead me to start looking again and found one that was too tall (can't be taller than 80mm) and they have a lead time of 26-30 weeks(!) due to chip shortage/pandemic stuff.

Would love to hear any recommendations for a BMS capable of 180S that I can actually order from stock with no lead time.

There is one for sale here in the for sale section. I bet t could get shipped to you. its like a 1200$ Distributed BMS.. a Elithion. Asking is 250$. It is a nice mature system. Well known for use in that range. Or you can contact Elithion.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=115116

DogDipstick said:
There is one for sale here in the for sale section. I bet t could get shipped to you. its like a 1200$ Distributed BMS.. a Elithion. Asking is 250$. It is a nice mature system. Well known for use in that range. Or you can contact Elithion.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=115116

I just checked them out and they seem like some ancient tech compared to today's stuff.
I don't see any software or clear examples of how it works, features etc...

I need something a bit more advanced.

rg12 said:
I just checked them out and they seem like some ancient tech compared to today's stuff.
This is their homepage.
http://www.liionbms.com/php/index.php
If that doesnt' have whatever info you're after, you might try contacting them.

"a bit more advanced" is insufficient for us to be able to help you find something.

You'll need to make and post a complete list of exactly what features you need it to have, and exactly what specifications each feature must meet, for us to find you something to satisfy your requirements. Don't leave anything out, or else people trying to help you will just be wasting their time when you then tell them "no wait, I need it to do *this*, too". :/

amberwolf said:
rg12 said:
This is their homepage.
If that doesnt' have whatever info you're after, you might try contacting them.

"a bit more advanced" is insufficient for us to be able to help you find something.

You'll need to make and post a complete list of exactly what features you need it to have, and exactly what specifications each feature must meet, for us to find you something to satisfy your requirements. Don't leave anything out, or else people trying to help you will just be wasting their time when you then tell them "no wait, I need it to do *this*, too". :/

I actually don't have any specific requirements and didn't mention anything about having a software as I didn't know that professional level BMS's don't have a software and work like preprogrammed chinese BMS with zero control.
Doesn't make sense to me.

and thanks for the link but I have found my orion bms locally from a company that luckily has a 180S orion laying around :D

amberwolf said:
This is their homepage.

That webpage is SUCH an amazing wealth of information, Isnt it Amberwolf.

rg12 said:
I actually don't have any specific requirements and didn't mention anything about having a software as I didn't know that professional level BMS's don't have a software and work like preprogrammed chinese BMS with zero control.
Doesn't make sense to me.

Lol The Elithion CERTAINLY has software. Lol. It is nothing like a dumb BMS.

You can datalog everthang. Lol. Even use IR charging compensations. Something you dont see in most BMS ( including the Orion).

Proven: world's most widely installed off-the-shelf Battery Management System for large Li-ion battery packs, with 1000s of units in 100s of applications.

Elithion has offered off-the-shelf Battery Management Systems for large Lithium-ion battery packs since 2008, longer than any other company in the world.

We know Li-Ion BMS: we wrote the book... literally.

User interface

Ways to configure, monitor and test the BMS

Terminal emulator (RS232)
CAN
Android / Torque (CAN)
Graphics User Interface (RS232)

Meters screen

This screen reports the basic status of the BMS through 3 analog meters, a digital meter and 6 indicators, in very simple terms, in order not to overwhelm the unsophisticated user.
Meters
Battery SOC
Battery current
Battery voltage
kWh readout
Indicators
AC power
Ignition power
Charging OK
Discharging OK
Warning
Fault
Meters screen
Status screen anchor
This screen displays the entire present status of the BMS.
The status items are grouped into:
BMS: state of the BMS itself: power, time, current sensors, outputs
PACK: state of the pack: SOC, voltage, current
ELLS: state of banks and cells: voltages, temperatures, resisatnces, balance, communication

Graph screen anchor
This screen graphs the status of the BMS.
Plot of certain parameters over time Histogram of the present value of certain parameters
The parameters are shown are selectable.

Configure screens
There are 10 screens under the Configuration tab and they are:

Basic - This screen has buttons for cell chemistry and a box to enter the cell amp hour rating
Cell-V - This screen is for entering the information for SOC VS Voltage
Cell-R - This screen is for entering the information for Cell Resistance VS SOC and Cell Resistance VS Temperature
Battery - This screen is for entering the capacity of the battery and if there are strings in parallel
Measure - This screen has the following:
Button for Relearn - to have the BMS relearn how many cell boards there are
Cell Board indicators for total cell boards
Cell boards/bank - lists the number of cell boards configured and number of cell boards seen
Current Sensors - This is used to set-up both the Source and Load current sensors
Selector for pack voltage to come from the HVFE if the HVFE is present
Measurement section - to select if IR compensation is to be used, to set the averaging time constant and the measurement period.
Protect - This screen is for entering the protection limits for the cells and battery as well as the Fault values.
Balance - This screen is for setting the parameters for balancing of the pack
Evaluate - This screen is for the following:
SOC estimate - to select to not use the SOC points on the Cell-V screen and to set the minimum current level
Capacity - to select to calculate the capacity and the minimum cell voltage for the capacity calculation
SOH estimate - set the minimum %SOH below which the BMS issues a warning
Isolation Test - various settings for the isolation test
Control - This screen has settings for the digital inputs, digital outputs, analog outputs and the contactors
Communicate - This screen has settings for the parameters for the CAN and RS232 communications

https://www.elithion.com/lithiumate/php/gui.php

Lol. What ever tho. Mebbe someone will see this and buy the one on the forum for sale. It is literally 1500$ of brand new BMS sitting over there for 250$.

DogDipstick said:
amberwolf said:
This is their homepage.
That webpage is SUCH an amazing wealth of information, Isnt it Amberwolf.
Depending on what you need to know, there is quite a bit of stuff on the various tabs and links, yes. ;)

I haven't read much of it, so couldn't say how accurate or up to date it is, however.

Back