Lightweight & small battery options

Hello! I'm new to this forum. I've been searching and doing a little research the last several days and am very happy to be here amongst such informed and helpful people.

I'm converting a mountain bike into an ebike and got a Tongsheng kit - 36v / 250w. I'm deep into the battery rabbit hole. The more I search I feel the less I know. I really want to go lightweight and don't know how well a water bottle setup would work. Preferably I'd like something around 7-10 Ah. I found this water bottle battery at UPP which is 300*77*85.4mm /Battery weight 3kg/ 20A

https://www.uppbattery.com/products...with-2a-charger-usa-stock-3-5days-arrive-1210

If anyone has any good experience with this or any other small battery I'd be happy to hear your experience.

Thank you!

I just inquired with UPP custom building a bottle battery with Samsung cells. Does anyone know if this is typical? I just don't know what to expect if you pay more for a custom job. Just seeing if anyone has any prior experience here with doing something custom with UPP.

I know I've read both positive and negative about the company but overall it seems like they're decent for an inexpensive battery.

UPP says about $100 extra for the Samsung cells. If I inquire about BMS is there a decent upgrade they provide? Just seeing if this is an ok price and if it's worth inquiring for the BMS.

Sorry if I'm overposting. They're offering Samsung 3500mAh cells to custom a 36V 10.5ah battery with 20A BMS for around $330. Just seeing if anyone thinks this is a fair price for a first time ebike battery buyer.

http://www.topbikekit.com/36v10ah-samsung-inr2170050e-liion-battery-small-size-and-large-capacity-p-1057.html

With a little protection, this would fit in a handlebar bag, seat bag, top tube bag, or Anything Cage.

Chalo said:
http://www.topbikekit.com/36v10ah-samsung-inr2170050e-liion-battery-small-size-and-large-capacity-p-1057.html

With a little protection, this would fit in a handlebar bag, seat bag, top tube bag, or Anything Cage.

Thanks for that suggestion @Chalo. Looks like a contender. I'll inquire about shipping to US. What kind of protection do you suggest?

scrolltonowhere said:
Chalo said:

Thanks for that suggestion @Chalo. Looks like a contender. Not sure if this one would work as if look like if has a current of 10A and I have the 20A tongsheng motor.

It says it has a 20-40A BMS (I assume continuous/maximum), and the individual cells are rated 8.6A continuous/17A peak. So the pack should be good for 17A continuous/34A peak. I think it's a fine match for your motor if small pack size is the primary criterion.

I haven't used this pack myself, and I always oversize my batteries for long lifespan. So I can't speak from personal experience about a pack that's run at its rated power.

PaulD said:
This may qualify as spam, but I think I have the highest energy density battery available. And they're finally in stock again. 10.5ah, 1.8kg. Fully potted, full featured BMS. Made in Oregon.
https://www.revelpropulsion.com/store-1/battery-pack

No worries Paul. You can post about batteries all you want.

I still remember that bike you brazed together that won the race in Barstow all those years ago. (I was the guy with the white van that brought the generator.)

:bigthumb: :bigthumb:

I have an earlier version of that UPP pack. They can get 30 cells in there. I bought a 36V9AH with LG cells for about $75 more in 2017. Also bought the generic cell model, 36V7,5AH. The latter is useless today as it delivers 3AH before it's flat. The LG version still delivers 6-7AH. I us it on a 36V 20A controller running hubmotors. Probably OK for a 500W 36V TSDZ2.

THere's a difference in appearance, but the small Hailong-2 battery is about 95mm tall and not muc bigger than the earlier cylindrical battery, It could hold 50 cells in a 36V config for a 10S-5P 15AH battery easily or 52cless in a 48V config, a 13S-4P for 48V14AH.

J4020133.JPG

J4020136.JPG

Hey @docw009 thanks for the personal experience review of the UPP. I'll ask about LG battery pricing since you had good results with that. Really appreciate that!

Just ordered a UPP bottle battery for an upcoming full sus, tsdz2 conversion. 35v7aH, Samsung cells... 180mm long. I'll let you know if it's any good when it shows up.

HughF said:
Just ordered a UPP bottle battery for an upcoming full sus, tsdz2 conversion. 35v7aH, Samsung cells... 180mm long. I'll let you know if it's any good when it shows up.

Hey there, I just saw you posted this. I have my 36v 10.5aH with Samsung cells working on my bike. It's 279mm long / 2.9kg. UPP charged me $316 shipped from China to the US in March. I'm now going to purchase another battery from them, but realized using low power and having the ability to charge frequently, I don't think I necessarily need the extra aH. I took a ride to a tool library yesterday, with a large jigsaw tool on the rack and a few other tools on a pannier. It was 2.2 miles (3.5km) and it was eeeeeaaazzzzzyy. Yes it was downhill most of the way but I was so impressed I think I'm going to start taking groceries home on my bike. The entire bike trip yesterday was about 10 miles (16km). I was biking with my wife who was using only her leg power so I didn't use much assist at all, mostly just when I had the tools on my bike. I got home and the battery was still pretty much fully charged. I started thinking that maybe I should've got a smaller sized battery.

I take the battery off the bike and carry it with me whenever I park it in public. I see a lot of people with ebikes here in the US don't do that. I don't feel like it's the best move, but perhaps there's not much of a resale market for ebike batteries here yet. When I lived in Beijing in 2009, ebike batteries were a hot commodity for thieves so I guess that's where my paranoia stems from. On a side note, it's funny (not really) to think that the US is now *just* starting to really get into ebikes. Sigh. But still nothing compared to the number of ebikes I saw when I was in Paris recently.

Anyway, I'm asking UPP how much it would cost for a smaller battery. May I ask what you paid?

Also, I realized that bulky VLCD5 screen is just an eyesore on the front of the bike. On top of it, it just takes up a lot of space so I'm thinking of buying a VLCD6 controller from PSPpower. Are there other reputable vendors out there that sell these or other small controllers I should look at? I guess it's also time to buy another kit because now I'm going to be converting my partner's bike to an electric as well!

scrolltonowhere said:
I'm now going to purchase another battery from them, but realized using low power and having the ability to charge frequently, I don't think I necessarily need the extra aH... I started thinking that maybe I should've got a smaller sized battery.
Not necessarily a bad thing. Over time, you will be ahead of the game because all common ebike batteries degrade over time (lose Ah). In the long run, your 10Ah battery may still be able to serve your needs while a 7Ah possibly would have diminished to unusability.

scrolltonowhere said:
I take the battery off the bike and carry it with me whenever I park it in public. I see a lot of people with ebikes here in the US don't do that. I don't feel like it's the best move, but perhaps there's not much of a resale market for ebike batteries here yet.
Depends on the immediate local environment. US is a big country. Lots of variation between neighborhoods. (But, AFAICT, ALL areas suffer from catalytic converter theft!)

scrolltonowhere said:
HughF said:

Anyway, I'm asking UPP how much it would cost for a smaller battery. May I ask what you paid?

£250.84 - delivered, all duties and taxes. 36v 7aH Samsung

Back