JAG35 R5 Shorty

I just made my first purchase of a number of used 36v Bird One scooter batteries from JAG35. They were listed as having "dumb" BMS's which did not require any protocols or communication to release current and sold as is. There were a few low voltage packs, and some damaged, which is expected for as is, but most came in around 39v. However, when discharged, whether at 2A or 20A, they attempt to put out voltage for about 5 seconds before the BMS cuts the output. SOC has no influence on this. Has anyone come across this phenomenon before with reclaimed Bird packs? Did I just happen to get super unlucky and bought a ton of lemons, Or were these sold under the false claim of not needing communication for discharging.

Jehu's review seems to get them to work without anything more than a XT-60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBdL2MRxYeU

Dunno about that specific one, but there's a member here that said they bypassed the BMS output on a Bird battery to make it work; there is a picture here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1713772#p1712432
But later on they were apparently unable to charge it; not sure if it has been damaged or if something else must be bypassed to charge it, or what.

When i looked at the Bird site while looking up info for that thread, it specifies that you have to use an app on your phone to enable the scooter, which means the phone is probalby using BT or other wireless to talk to the scooter, probalby the battery itself, to enable it's output so the scooter will then operate.

Whether that's true of all of their stuff or not, I don't know; it could just be for the present generation (but I expect it is for all of them).

It's also possible, though unlikely if it exactly the same amount of time regardless of loading, that the packs have some less-capable cells that are dropping below whatever cutoff point that BMS has when under load (even the minimal one of just powering the output), so the BMS shuts output off to protect them.

BudgetMusician said:
Jehu's review seems to get them to work without anything more than a XT-60.
Are you able to contact Jehu for advice/tips?

It appears that the other guy here bypassed the bms entirely, which I would prefer not to do if possible. As for reaching out, all I've received from Jehu is that they were sold untested and As Is, which isn't much help. There are Rx and Tx ports on the board, so I'll do some digging and see if anyone has figured out any packets that cause any changes.

BudgetMusician said:
It appears that the other guy here bypassed the bms entirely, which I would prefer not to do if possible. As for reaching out, all I've received from Jehu is that they were sold untested and As Is, which isn't much help. There are Rx and Tx ports on the board, so I'll do some digging and see if anyone has figured out any packets that cause any changes.

Op, it seems jag32 knowingly sold defective products as "as is" and possibly misrepresented the item by saying it does not need bms bypass. It could be also that they shipped you the wrong item.

It is very unfortunate they refuse to step up and make things right.

I had seen others who had similar experience with them dispute it with their CC.

Back