Battery charging

I have a 24v 5A dc supply which I have linked to a buck converter. The output of the buck converter is set to 13.4v and then connected to a 12v lead acid battery reading 12v-so the battery is a little low on charge.

An ammeter between the buck converter and the battery reads 0.15A however when I increase the output voltage of the buck converter to say 15V or even 18V the amps pumped into the battery hardly changes.

I would have thought the amperage would increase when the output voltage increased and can't understand why this is happening.
Can someone offer an explanation please?

Battery is probably damaged, high internal resistance, failed cell, etc.

Or the converter simply can't output anything higher than that (design, damage, etc).

Without specifics on the converter itself, couldn't tell you why.

Peter Brigg said:
I have a 24v 5A dc supply which I have linked to a buck converter. The output of the buck converter is set to 13.4v and then connected to a 12v lead acid battery reading 12v-so the battery is a little low on charge.

An ammeter between the buck converter and the battery reads 0.15A however when I increase the output voltage of the buck converter to say 15V or even 18V the amps pumped into the battery hardly changes.

I would have thought the amperage would increase when the output voltage increased and can't understand why this is happening.
Can someone offer an explanation please?

Back