Best cell/pouch to use for more energy density

TheSiege

100 W
Right now I have a full sized DOT moped/scooter that is 21s3p using first gen chevy volt batteries. The pouches are litterally in a wooden box below the seat.

I havent taken it apart yet to get the actual size. I dont think I am actually getting the full 45ah from this pack. I am only getting around 30 miles or so per charge. So I am considering upgrading the batteries.

That being said, what cell/pouch/prismatic/chemistry battery would be best?
I am hoping to get at least 55ah but would prefer something closer to 70. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks

I think getting gen 2 chevy volt batteries in a 21s3p configuration would be the best. That would be a 72AH system. I just cant seem to find any for sale

TheSiege said:
I dont think I am actually getting the full 45ah from this pack.
What does your wattmeter report? ;)

Good question, all I have right now is a small 350w load tester. What device would you recommend I use to test this?

Any wattmeter that supports the voltage your system runs at (more than whatever the max full charge is, to give some margin), and that can handle the max current the controller would ever draw from the battery.

Best is if it has a "memory" like the Cycle Analyst that doesn't erase itself when power is lost, but can be reset manually when needed. (most forget everything when power is lost)

If you use one that has a remote shunt (like the Cycle Analyst SA versions) instead of one built into the wattmeter (like the typical "turnigy" type RC units), you can put the shunt right at the battery/controller connection, and the meter up on the handlebars where you can monitor it during a ride.

Back