Ammeter and arduino to calculate real-time cumulative discharge. Sampling rate?

DaisyVanDonk

1 µW
Forgive me if this is a well discussed topic. I am very happy to be pointed in the right direction.

I would like to have a display showing real-time ampere hours used since the last full charge (manually reset). I imagine the best way would be to install an ammeter inline with the battery->motor cable. I could use an arduino to sample the current at some(?) frequency. Given that data we can calculate the cummulative ampere hours used.
Are there any obvious pitfalls with this strategy?
Many thanks!

If you just need the data, there's lots of cheap wattmeters out there you can buy and install that will give you the Ah (and more) data.

If you have a specific project already in progress that needs this data, then sure, you can use any of the MCU systems to do this, too; there is probably already code and hardware on http://arduino.cc or other sites; probably here on ES, as well, in the various open-source controller hardware / software threads, like those by Casainho, Stancecoke, et. al.

What's the specific project it is for?

DaisyVanDonk said:
Forgive me if this is a well discussed topic. I am very happy to be pointed in the right direction.

I would like to have a display showing real-time ampere hours used since the last full charge (manually reset). I imagine the best way would be to install an ammeter inline with the battery->motor cable. I could use an arduino to sample the current at some(?) frequency. Given that data we can calculate the cummulative ampere hours used.
Are there any obvious pitfalls with this strategy?
Many thanks!

Back