Tool batteries

Spidennis

100 µW
I am seriously considering using tool batteries
to power my beach bike and cart combo.
Two 18v batteries in series gets 36v
For my needs the range is good.
I have a bunch of Ryobi tools, and I’m down to one mostly dead battery. I can multitask my batteries this way! Yes, I’m on a budget.
I don’t see anyone here doing this?
Because it’s only 36v?
And most everyone runs higher voltages?
It’s all the same cells so why not?
See video here
https://youtu.be/APPtAwAeKlQ

Attachments

• 59E91543-0AE9-4016-9767-A3DD374D3C6D.png
    59E91543-0AE9-4016-9767-A3DD374D3C6D.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 712
  • 018F03C9-864A-49EF-8D3D-FCAFD42914B0.png
    018F03C9-864A-49EF-8D3D-FCAFD42914B0.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 712
Lots of threads here and utube . Get the higher ah ones for bike may be heavy for a drill. They must be same voltage to pair up.best to charge as a pair. Some after market batteries are pure junk. Maybe look at batteryhookup. What are you from ?

I live on South Padre Island, Texas
I give sandcastle lessons on the beach.
Find me on Facebook,
South Padre Island Sandcastle Lessons
I’ve been watching, studying, and now asking questions. About to buy something soon! Yes, I know, it’s the end of the busy season.
I found battery connection mounts, cool. 9ah batteries. Need these for my tools anyway.

Attachments

• 863B6AC1-568D-4CEF-A7AA-698411A76062.png
    863B6AC1-568D-4CEF-A7AA-698411A76062.png
    814.7 KB · Views: 698
Lots of successful builds using the EGO 56V packs, 14S

Here on ES we have been calling 14S a "52V" pack...when fully-charged it's around 58V so its just marketing at work again.

People are doing it, whether tool pack intact and you figure out fitment or cracking the case open and/or pcb removal.
Ryobi's are good because they are cheap.
Split the pack and make it easy to separate each brick of 18v.

Higher voltage is EGO or ECO probably already mentioned.

I wouldnt touch the dual voltage bricks.

Spidennis said:
I am seriously considering using tool batteries
to power my beach bike and cart combo.
Two 18v batteries in series gets 36v
For my needs the range is good.
I have a bunch of Ryobi tools, and I’m down to one mostly dead battery. I can multitask my batteries this way! Yes, I’m on a budget.
I don’t see anyone here doing this?
Because it’s only 36v?
And most everyone runs higher voltages?
It’s all the same cells so why not?
See video here
https://youtu.be/APPtAwAeKlQ

Maybe there is even a person selling Ryobi adapters for ebike applications. A person with a 3d printer perhaps on ebay.

Connected a boombox to a Makita 18V battery. Worked great till the battery drained too low. Battery was killed dead, never to work again. My guess is that with Matita tools the BMS is in the tool not the battery.

Anyone have any information on which power tool battery's have a BMS or some electronics with a cutoff to prevent the voltage from going too low?

OK...... so I ask a question? Then I answer my own questions. I got the internet :D

Do Makita Power Tool batteries have built in over discharge?

From personal experience, tearing down tool packs:

Dewalt and Makita have the BMS/LV cut off in the tool.

Ryobi, Ridgid, Milwaukee all have a basic BMS in the battery.

The difference here is that when Dewalt and Makita switched from NIMH/NICD to Li ion they introduced a whole new line of tools tailored for the li ion batteries. The others wanted the new batteries to be reverse compatible with their old tools, so the electronics needed to be in the batteries.

The tool and battery talk to each other, the pcb will brick itself to save law suits.

The generic batteries, the ebay and Amazon batteries do not care about silly law suits or bad pr.

Let's talk a few minutes about safety. I am better at copy and paste then typing.

From https://www.electricbike.com/cordless-tool-batteries-for-ebike/

DANGER!

There is one huge issue with combining several small battery packs onto one ebike. You can attach two packs together in series without immediate damage (as long as it’s done right). In other words…an 18V pack attached to a 36V pack IN SERIES will make a 54V pack. Sounds odd, but it works. No sparks, no fire…

However, if you are running two or three packs IN PARALLEL (in order to have a longer range without needing to occasionally swap from one pack to another), you absolutely MUST charge and discharge them all at the same time, and when you insert them into the mounting harness…if one of them has a lower voltage than the others? all the packs will rapidly equalize. This means a LOT of heat, possibly damage to one of them, but whats worse? It can cause a fire. This is no joke.

If you have two mounted packs (or more) and you install a switch to move your ebike power from one pack to the other (instead of physically pulling one pack out of a mounting slot and sliding a second pack into it), make sure that the type of switch you use has a neutral center position where nothing is powered.

I’m liking all the comments!
There are a few aspects yet for me to understand not tool battery related but in shopping for the motor and accessories.

Attachments

• AEC7DB55-DC18-400C-A26D-8BC6973CE0AD.jpeg
    AEC7DB55-DC18-400C-A26D-8BC6973CE0AD.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 518
Let's see a sandcastle.
Not all tool batteries are of the same quality and off brand or copied batteries are usually junk. Junk is dangerous
I like one big battery.

Spam why are advertising for the Blue Marlin
Shameless

999zip999 said:
Let's see a sandcastle.
Not all tool batteries are of the same quality and off brand or copied batteries are usually junk. Junk is dangerous
I like one big battery.

Spam why are advertising for the Blue Marlin
Shameless
A sandcastle? Would that not be a “shameless” advertising scheme? The bike and trailer should be the focus. Next you’ll want to see some bikini clad fans? Ha! I’m trying to keep y’all on task here.

O.k. then
I still want a sandcastle with binkis. Please
None I'm going to have a boarshead Cajun smoked turkey bread on Russian rye.
Have you looked at batteryhookup ?
I bought no name tool battery packs and was disappointed.

I plan to get to the point where I can spot weld my own battery packs. It’s sucks every thing has its own unique connection. I thought I saw a few adapter plates? I hate batteries but I have to jump in with both feet to make everything work. Ebike, tools, lawnmower, flounder gigging light, etc. plus I have a big and unusual trip I want to do.

Back