Molicel IMR26700 alternative?

stanelie

100 µW
Hello.

Rebuilding a Zero DS 2011 motorcycle pack quickly, I followed a recipe that uses Nissan Leaf battery modules. But this got me wondering : what are today's (2022) modern alternatives to the original 378 x Molicel IMR26700 cells that were in the original pack (27P14S)? This new Nissan made battery will have 2/3 of the original pack's capacity.

These cells were originally 2900 mah, 40A continuous discharge.

I thought that 11 years later, technology would have improved, and it would be either cheaper to replace the pack for about the same capacity, or that I would be able to make it's capacity greater with the same volume.

Looking around at what's available today, I can't find anything that is either of these things. I can't even find anything that is close to the power density of the original Molicel cells. What am I missing?

Thanks for the tips.

IDK they don't look that impressive when compared to many of the high discharge 21700 cells, like look at a Molicel P42A. Looks like they improved their cells quite a lot in these 11 years. Just going off the listed numbers (which doesn't tell everything) that cell will do 45A continuous at greater capacity and is much smaller of course. I don't feel like doing the math for power density there but it's clearly much higher and the energy density is much higher. The Nissan cells are not optimized for power density or energy density since they go in a car, they are optimized for probably cost first because it's a budget EV.

Thanks, I hadn't come across those.
They look like a good alternative, although they are not cheap.

I bet those IMR26700s were also not cheap when they were new, there are many other options with pros and cons, I just picked those as an example since they are the same brand and a similar but modern product. No way any new cylindrical cell is going to compete price wise with EV pack pulls.

LFP cells are a whole different kettle of fish, totally depends on what you are after, too many variables.

Back