Taking Care of 52V battery in hot weather

Diddler

1 W
Question regarding storing ebike battery in Florida hot weather.

Have a 52V battery. Haven't charged it yet. I'm aware once charging it, I should store it in a cooler place. Obviously my house has AC here in Florida, but not high on keeping said battery inside house.

Had heard of storing such a battery in a small refrigerator, keeping it on the highest cooling. Then, saw this might prove problematic with condensation developing around the battery, thus damage. Then, some other dude suggested placing the battery inside a zip tight plastic bag, then storing in a small refrigerator.

Having never dealt with such a challenge of storing an ebike battery in Florida temperatures, I wanted to request suggestions which you have experienced for such a challenge. Obviously, any hot climate such as Florida, Alabama, Texas, California might have those who have experience with this issue.

Thanks for sharing whatever insights and/or suggestions you might have regarding this matter.

Some notes:

If you store it at a significantly colder temperature than that at which it was charged, the cells may be at a higher state of charge than they are meant for. If you know what model and brand of cell they are, you can see if there is a datasheed from the cell maker with SoC vs temperature / etc data. To prevent this, leave the battery at storage charge level (usually around 50% or so), rather than fully charging it.

And as you've read, a high humidity environment will cause condensation on a cooled surface. If you do store the battery in a moistureproof container and then cool it, then allow it to warm to room temperature before opening the container, or the humidity in the air will condense on the cooler surfaces.

I suspect the humidity itself will be much more detrimental to the battery over time, regardless of temperature, than the temperature itself. To help keep humidity away, you could setup a dehumidifier cabinet or room wherever is convenient or preferable, and store it in that. As a byproduct it would probably also keep it cooler.

That said, I live in Phoenix, AZ, where it gets a bit warm ;) (likely much more than coastal FL, though I haven't checked) and is fairly humid (not as much as FL) for much of the summer, and I've found no need to store batteries in extra-chilly conditions or dehumidify them. Simple normal room temperatures are typically sufficient to be better than outdoor conditions (which here may be as much as 40-50 degrees F higher than indoors on the worst days, depending on who has control of the A/C thermostat and where I am at the time :lol: ).

Any other suggestions or comments. Would appreciate your wisdom. Thanks....Diddler.

Find out what cells the battery is made of and download the spec sheet; it will have recommended and max storage temperature and so on. They aren’t that sensitive generally- for example the Samsung 25R has a chart for full charge storage at 60C (140F) which shows some degredation after 60 days.

Back