Why do people use gloves when building batteries?

Cyclomania

10 kW
I watched Micah Toll's video on when he is welding and building a new battery.

He uses gloves to not short circuit he says.

Why is this? Does the physical hand short circuit the battery more easily, than when you have gloves? And if so, why is it so?

Also, what types of gloves should be used?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2022-10-01 kl. 23.32.13.png
    Skärmavbild 2022-10-01 kl. 23.32.13.png
    720.3 KB · Views: 580
Ask how many auto and heavy equipment mechanics have caused a short circuit and resulting burn marks around that finger (if not more serious) with the ring(s) on their finger(s). I did it once and was lucky enough to be able to pull the ring away from the short location and get it off my finger before the ring got red hot.

Sweaty hands can give you a tingle when you touch a pack at different voltage potentials. Personally, I think wearing gloves puts me at more risk from loss of dexterity than it saves me from electric shocks.

Take off your rings, watch, bracelets, etc., though. Those can get right agitated if you close a circuit with one.

E-driver_ said:
I watched Micah Toll's video on when he is welding and building a new battery.

He uses gloves to not short circuit he says.
In this instructional spot welding DIY video by Micah Toll he is NOT wearng gloves ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ublFs7IU05c ... please post your video link with Micah Toll wearing protective gloves when spot welding a DIY 18650 or 21700 ebike battery.

My guess for having those thick protective mittens in the photo is in the event the battery catches on fire and you need to dispatch of it quickly after first using a fire extinquisher.

Instead of those silly mittens was there no photo to be found with spot welding gloves ...
229292.jpg
beside the spot welder instead of mittens ?

I wear gloves to keep dirt and oil off of new cells. They are new, and I dont want the dirt and oil form my hands to touch them. The shock protection is just an extra bit of protection. Hell yeah I ca feel my 72v pack, it is scary when I feel it tingle.

Like when handling a firearm, or a work of art. Take precaution.

DogDipstick said:
I wear gloves to keep dirt and oil off of new cells. They are new, and I dont want the dirt and oil form my hands to touch them. The shock protection is just an extra bit of protection. Hell yeah I ca feel my 72v pack, it is scary when I feel it tingle.

Like when handling a firearm, or a work of art. Take precaution.

What type of gloves do you use?

E-driver_ said:
What type of gloves do you use?

Regular latex rubber gloves.

In this instructional spot welding DIY video by Micah Toll he is NOT wearng gloves ...
... please post your video link with Micah Toll wearing protective gloves when spot welding a DIY 18650 or 21700 ebike battery.

My guess for having those thick protective mittens in the photo is in the event the battery catches on fire and you need to dispatch of it quickly after first using a fire extinquisher.

Instead of those silly mittens was there no photo to be found with spot welding gloves ...
229292.jpg
beside the spot welder instead of mittens ?
This is where I saw him use some kind of gloves:

Attachments

• Glover.png
    Glover.png
    199.7 KB · Views: 1
Back