Does an MPPT solar controller have ripple in the output

I have read LiFePo4 cells last longer if the charging current does not pulse ie the best charging current is a flat voltage rather than a pulsing current/voltage which may be better for lead acid batteries. Is there any truth to this and is there a better type of controller for these lithium cells than the MPPT type?

I have made a number of 12v Li-ion and LiFePo4 batteries for uses such as camping lights and refrigeration. With just 4 cells to monitor I do without a BMS and monitor each cell voltage-I try to get matched cells to start with. If one cell is too high a simple load like a 6v globe is used to being it down (an alarm on my mobile warns to check for an over discharge). Are others using 12v batteries in a similar way? I have come to distrust BMS however with a 36v bike battery I realise monitoring each cell can be tedious-so I use a BMS for that battery.

I thinkyou may be confusing MPPT solar CONTROLLERS, with dc CHARGERS ! A charger should have the correct cc/cv charge profile to suit the cell chemistry being charged.
SOME mppt controllers do have the ability to be configured to suit LiFePo charging,…but not all.

A good mppt controller will do its best to hit a target voltage and stay at that voltage. So, CV. But unfortunately, the nature of solar production is varied, pulsed input. Varied, pulsed output is an unfortunate consequence of that. So what a good mppt controller should be doing is keeping voltage output constant, while the amperage fluctuates up and down depending on where the sun is. And this is a good controller; there are lower quality ones out there as well. In a perfect world, sure, it's always best to have a totally stable and constant charging source, but if what you got is the sun, then that's what you got.

I charge 3s li-ion and 4s lifepo4 with my ecoworthy 20a mppt and also a makeskyblue 60a mppt. I never notice any ripple or pulsing, to me it seems like just any other charger. It won't affect longetivity, my lifepo4 is going on 4 years being hooked up and charged daily with mppt, the li-ion is going on 2 years.

Without a bms you definitely need some sort of alarm on the li-ion at least. A tenergy cellmeter 6 (cost about 11 dollars on amazon) will sound an alarm if the voltage goes above 4.2 volts per cell. Even with a bms, I once had the cells climb as high as 4.5 volts, it happens quick even if your nearby and monitoring the charging.

tenergy checker.jpg

Peter Brigg said:
I have read LiFePo4 cells last longer if the charging current does not pulse ie the best charging current is a flat voltage….

Again, this is fundamentally incorrect .
All lithium cells should be charged using a CONSTANT CURRENT (increasing voltage) supply up to optimum cell voltage,…when the charge feed should revert to CONSTANT VOLTAGE (reducing current) until a defined minimum current level is reached and the charge is terminated.
As i said before, not all MPPT controllers can do that.
Check the capeabilities of yours., or use a dedicated Lfp “CHARGER” .

Back