Tool for making slots in nickel or copper strip

jas67

10 W
What tool are you all using for cutting slots for welding?

I'd think some sort of punch tool that cuts a 10mm X .5mm slot would be ideal. Google hasn't been much help finding one.

Thanks all!

I tried a similar one made for vinyl siding. The slot is WAY too wide for welding to the small positive end of a 18650 or even 21700.

How many are you doing? If you're making a lot a sheet metal punch tooling setup would be about $500-750 USD. That would get you whatever shape you want within the size limits but you'd have to find a sheet metal house to make them for you with the punch. They could probably laser cut some to work out the shape you want.

If you're only making a few it's very likely worth the $ to buy the pre made strips.

Jrbe said:
If you're only making a few it's very likely worth the $ to buy the pre made strips.

I'm certainly not making enough to justify special tooling. As far as buying pre-made strips, I want to do this for copper. The pre-made strips are nickel.

Also, the pre-made strips all seem to be for 18650, not 21700 or 26650. I'm going to be using copper for a 26650 battery build.
I can weld .08mm copper w/o slots with nickel on top with my K-weld, but, not having much luck with .16mm copper w/o slots. Maybe with slots, it'll work.

Back