High current Battery pack

Karthikeya

1 µW
Hey Everyone! I am trying to develop a very high current battery pack. My cells are capable of delivering 20A continuously. the configuration of the pack is 20p42s[divided into modules]. The thickest busbars that i'm able to find can only conduct 5-10A of current in the series path. Over sizing the pack is not an option since weight is crucial here. can someone give me some solution for this ot lead me to links that focus on battery pack manufacturing process for high current discharge. There are a lot of links for low current but that's not what I'm looking for.

You're trying to do an automotive type job with vape pen cells. The effective way is to use automotive cells.

"Copper-nickel sandwich" bus strips as promoted by Spinningmagnets can work much better than nickel only, but you'll do much better yet with high current prismatic cells that have threaded post terminals. Then the bus bars can be as chunky as you want.

The off the shelf buss bars are not meant for current levels you're looking to get. Developing things people aren't doing at scale means developing parts to support what you're trying to do.

Look at Tesla and Lucid battery assemblies for inspiration if you haven't.

You can laser / waterjet cut / punch buss bars from whatever material makes sense for you then if necessary plate the buss bars with whatever makes sense.

Cooling will likely be a big issue too.

Chalo said:
You're trying to do an automotive type job with vape pen cells. The effective way is to use automotive cells.

"Copper-nickel sandwich" bus strips as promoted by Spinningmagnets can work much better than nickel only, but you'll do much better yet with high current prismatic cells that have threaded post terminals. Then the bus bars can be as chunky as you want.

Exactly infact I built my 45ah lithium using 5ah Honda insight prismatic cells that have threaded studs the only thing that sucks is having to drill the aluminum plate so many times because you have to make the nuts recessed because the plate aluminum is as thick or thicker than the studs are tall but other then that it's the best option I've found for high amperage battery packs these cells are rated at 60c so that's 300a each

Back