Ping battery Problem?

Ok, first things first. I think I have been away from this forum for waaayy too long!
Got into recumbents, and have been having a blast doing long distance Audax rides on a lightweight two wheel low racer.
So, my electric trike has had precious little use, and in fact has been in storage for, oh, maybe 6 months, maybe more?
I have topped up my battery a couple of times since. Its a Ping 36v/10AHr.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, my son wanted to use my trike while his car was getting repaired.
Went to top up the battery, and nothing!
Ok, full voltage getting to the BMS, but it doesn't appear to be getting to the cells?
Here's a breakdown of what I have found, and pardon me if my knowledge is getting a bit rusty!
Voltage on the out side of the BMS 30.5 v.
Voltage on the battery side of the BMS 35.1 v.
Individual cell voltage , 10 cells at around 3.2 v, 1 cell at 2.3 v, and 1 cell at 1.6 v.
BMS is showing ~46.5v on the charge side.
Those two cells are obviously a concern, but does that explain why the pack is not charging?
Would the BMS prevent those low cells from taking a charge?
And are the low cells 'toast'? or can they be recovered?
And what may have caused this situation to occur?
I can always contact Ping and get a couple of replacement cells, just need to know what I should or could do first.
Any suggestions or sage words of advice?
Thanks!

My 36 volt ping v 1 charges up to 45 volts max charge. I let it sit a long time without charging
and the most negative cell group discharged down to 2.5 volts while all others were 3.2 plus.

Dogman has suggested that the bms should be disconnected from the pack for long term storage.
But who knows that it will be sitting long term till after the fact?

I used a single cell charger to slowly bring the low group back up this past week and hope that it will hang on for a while.
Good luck with your ping.

I gave the issue some thought, and decided to put a short jumper lead between the charge in lead, and the neg side of the battery, effectively bypassing the BMS.
The charger, quite obviously, kicked in straight away! Only had it this way for a few minutes, but it was enough!
left the battery to charge away quite happily, and last I checked, all cells were around 3.7 to 3.9 volts, and the charger/BMS were going through the cell balancing cycle.
probably means I still have 2 under performing cells, so I might replace them anyway, somewhere down the track, but at least I should be able to get some more use out of it, at least in the short term.

Back