What batteries are you using?

broloch

1 kW
What type of batteries are you using? Where did you get them? How are they working for you? How much did you spend?

I'm going with the Thundersky cells, 20ah. Paying about $400 for a 36v 20ah.

http://elitepowersolutions.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=16&products_id=74

6-36V Bosch fatpacks in parallel for 12Ah. Fantastic problem free Lithium solution. $48 USD each over this past summer on Ebay, now cost $69 each pack.

16, 36v dewalt packs made into 16s 10p. ~50v at 23ah pack. Makes honda cr85 dirt bike go like stink. So far reliable, perdictable, no heat, solid power. Should be good for another 5-6 years use. Ebay, ~ 105. per pack.

I'm using 196 konion V cells in a 14s14p arrangement, in parallel with 42 Emoli cells in a 14s3p arrangement.

Total pack = 51v nominal, 58.8v hot off charger. 27.4 usable amp hours in the pack (conservative estimate).
Pack is capable of putting out 400+ amps at only 15c. I only draw 100a out of the pack when accelerating because of current limit on controller. Voltage sag is very low.

I'm using a 16S5P A123 pack assembled from 8 DeWalt tool packs. I purchased them from ebay tool pack sellers berchent & Your_Tool_Cage for $100 each about 10 months ago. I connected these to an ecitypower 45A BMS (~$45), and 75A discharge + 45A charge power poles. Total cost was about $900.
The pack works very well. 900 miles & 50 cycles without a battery problem.

Eric S.

Using the A123's in 14P2S format. Got them off of flea-bay with lots of bidding over a six month time frame. They are great batts. I have a Vicor power supply that outputs 51V that's why the 14S. I have just over $800 into 100+ cells. Three packs times 28 cells built two completely wired but running one at a time for the moment. I do not use an onboard BMS for discharge yet but charge using one of the Fechter and Goodrum BMS units. The three A123 packs go in the Schwinn in a parallel connection soon as the voices said the Giant wants Lipo for Christmas.

First a123 pack built is 4.6AH not pretty but it fits in the bag and works just fine.

A123pac1.jpg

Ping 36v 20 ah. at about 400 cycles, it's still best money I ever spent on anything besides construction tools. Almost two years ago now, you don't even want to know how cheap it was then, when ping sold em just about at cost to get started. But I'll tell you anyway, $350 plus shipping.

My other battery is a pair of 24v 8 ah nicads. They work great, but I no longer have a 24v bike, so they get to be a bit of a pita to use as a 48v pack since I charge at 24v. As a 24v 16 ah pack they rocked, but only 8 ah doesn't. But If I pack em on the bike with the ping, I have 60 mile range riding slow. $175 each plus shipping.

I'm real tempted now to get a 48v 15 ah ping, which will balance perfect in panniers with my 36v ping. Then I'd have about 80 mile range, perfect for here out west, where some towns are 70 miles apart. I want to take a road trip.

Back