Substituting Nimh for NiCD

mf70

1 µW
All:

I have an old ICOM handheld radio with a battery pack that holds six AA cells. There is a switch in the pack between Alkaline and NiCd cells. I assume that the radio holds the pack at a float voltage when the radio is running on mains power, and the pack switch controls the target voltage.

I would like to switch to Nimh chemistry, but I am concerned that the charge voltage levels would be inappropriate. Does anyone know if a Nimh pack can safely be held at NiCd float levels?

Mark

With AA cells.. short answer = Yes. go ahead.

With a large higher voltage ebike pack of nicad/nimh it's a bit more complicated, you can use a Nimh charger on a Nicad pack, but i would not use a Nicad charger on nimh cells because of the end-of-charge detection, nimh is a bit more sensitive and should be done with a temp probe thingamabob....

but for AA cells, and only 6 of them, it will be perfectly fine. I recommend Eneloop cells if you can find them.

I agree you can sub in NiMh for NiCD in this application. I wanted to add that I have had great luck with the new low self discharge cells from HobbyKing. Great price and great capacity.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10456

I run have been running low self-discharge NiMH cells in my Icom R10. And my Tek THS730A oscilloscope. And my Valhalla igniter testers. And a bunch 'o other stuff. Works great. If your stuff ran off of NiCads and had a slow charge rate (say 10 hours) you should be just fine. The NiMH cells have at least twice the capacity so would charge at less than a C/20 rate. NiMH cells can handle this for extended periods without problems. Does take 20+ hours to fully charge.

Thank you all for your quick responses. I was a little gunshy because the pack switch got set to "alkaline" once and blew up the NiCd's.

Mark

Back