Charging my new thundersky pack

PHC

100 mW
I just received 5, 20ah 12 volt packs from Elite Power Solutions that I ordered last week. I did not buy the charger they sell or the balancers. The total charged voltage should be 14.4 X 5 = 72 Volts. I am building a custom frame motorcycle based on the "Honda Solo 50" as my goal.

img100013yk1.jpg

side.jpg

front.jpg

I purchased a group of parts off eBay from someone who abandoned his own build due to lack of funds. The parts included a very large charger for lead acid golf cart batteries (Quick Charge Select-A-Charge On Board 72 Volt 10 Amp Charger) and my question is can I use this to charge the Thundersky pack I am building. Here is a link to a page with specifications for the charger,

http://www.chargingchargers.com/quick-charge/obsc72-10.html

I also have 2 other chargers,

- a 48 volt ebike smart charger made in China that is made for LiFeP04 packs like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LiFePO4-battery-Charger-Quick-scooter-5-Amp-48V-110v-/320744409132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaddb482c

- a Trunigy 6S Accucell 8150

Which is my best choice for charging this pack. If I could adjust the the cutoff voltage on the "Quick Charge" could it be made suitable?

Thanks,
Paul

I will let the Batt experts answer your charger question... but
....very nice frame choice ! :eek: 8)
..what motor do you plan on using ?

EDIT : .. :eek: holy crap, i have just seen your other post and realise now that you are actually "scratch" building the entire bike based on a photo. !
that is a mighty impressive effort. ..Good luck. 8)

What type of BMS will you be using?

The Zephyr BMS (do a search on this forum) is fairly unique in that it will work with ordinary Pb-acid chargers. Most others need a purpose-built charger that can be switched to a low rate of charge once the balancing starts.

Also, for the 20-cell pack you have, a 60-volt charger would be appropriate. The voltage of the charger is the nominal volts (12/24/36/48'60/72) etc. The 72 volt charger will actually charge up to 87-89 volts.

HI PHC: I have (2) setups using THUNDERSKY 20AH. battries from ELITE POWER SOLUTIONS. One is a 60volt setup and the other is 72volts but I use their balancers and their chargers. I know that the 72volt chargers are very expesive so I ust the 36volt charger by spliting my charge in to (2) setups and chaarge 1/2 the pack at a time and this works good. :)

Hi Paul;
I have 20 TS 40Ah cells with the factory charger. I also have a BMS. Without the BMS the charger shuts off @ 72.8V, taking the cells to 3.65V, depending on the temperature. With the BMS, when the charger shuts off, the BMS has kept the cells at 3.45V.

Hillhater said:
I will let the Batt experts answer your charger question... but
....very nice frame choice ! :eek: 8)
..what motor do you plan on using ?

EDIT : .. :eek: holy crap, i have just seen your other post and realise now that you are actually "scratch" building the entire bike based on a photo. !
that is a mighty impressive effort. ..Good luck. 8)

Thanks for the comments. It's been alot of fun building it since I get to use all my shop equipment. I do 2-3 big projects a year and I build alot of my own equipment.

Paul

Based on the input so far I may add a 6th battery and get a 36 volt charger. Its a shame I cant use the golf cart charger since it retails for over $400. I got it for free brand new with the rest of the parts so I will sell it here or on eBay and buy the 36 volt Lifep04 from elite.

Paul

dont be too hasty with that 72v charger, it may be possible to adjust its voltage to suit your pack.
There are many smart guys on here that can help you find out.
It would certainly be worth asking Quick Charge at least ..
http://www.quickcharge.com/Select-a-charge%20ON%20BOARD.htm
Phone (405) 634-2120
800 658-2841
Fax (405) 632-5667
E-Mail quickcharge@Icnet.net
Likewise, its not impossible that one of your V Power chargers could be persuaded to increase its output a few volts !

If all else fails , one of these may suit you.. 72v, 10A , $80. !
http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/28-alloy-shell-900w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html

There's really no reason you can't use the 72v lead charger but you should have some kind of HVC protection at the cell level. For that matter you need if for LVC as well. I use CellLog8s with the alarm output but most will recommend a BMS.You need these protections no matter what charger you use with TS cells. BTW, you do not have TS cells because Elite no longer sells 20ah TS cells. TS cells are yellow and I'm betting yours are green. Bob

dumbass said:
There's really no reason you can't use the 72v lead charger but you should have some kind of HVC protection at the cell level. For that matter you need if for LVC as well. I use CellLog8s with the alarm output but most will recommend a BMS.You need these protections no matter what charger you use with TS cells. BTW, you do not have TS cells because Elite no longer sells 20ah TS cells. TS cells are yellow and I'm betting yours are green. Bob

I am not sure who made the cells. I heard TS changed names anyway. The cells are LiFeP04 and the TS cells were a different chemistry I believe. Do you have a part number for protection boards?

Paul

PHC said:
dumbass said:

I am not sure who made the cells. I heard TS changed names anyway. The cells are LiFeP04 and the TS cells were a different chemistry I believe. Do you have a part number for protection boards?

Paul

As I mentioned I use CellLog 8s for my LVC and HVC. While riding them sound a load 100db alarm if a single cell falls below 2.8v (can be changed to any voltage) and while charging it the same alarm sounds at 3.66v. I am currently building a charger for quick bulk charging to 3.64 with single cell balancing to 3.65v. So to answer your question no I really don't have any recommendations because I have never used a true protection board BMS.

You cells are manufactured by GBS (who ever they are). As I mentioned I have 4 12v packs from both GBS and TS. There the same cells jusr differnet colors and manufactures. Bob

Back