LTC3300-1 (High Efficiency Bidirectional Multicell Batter)

methods

1 GW
Wont feel so big after you see how much they charge for it :shock:

(actually I dont know how much they charge - but given what I have paid for demo boards in the past that were 1.5" x 1.5" I am nervous)

-methods

If I were an international playboy on an allowance I would be doing it right now.....

Sadly I am a defunct hillbilly who lives in a trailer and eats leftovers for lunch so - I am out :eek:

-methods

methods said:
If I were an international playboy on an allowance I would be doing it right now.....

Sadly I am a defunct hillbilly who lives in a trailer and eats leftovers for lunch so - I am out :eek:

-methods

Leftovers from your kid should be quite milkey....

Your controller is finally sitting on my bench along with one for Dimpirate and another guy. Those will be shipped out shortly.

-methods

I is a nice chipset, however look at the price.. It is $3/cell chips alone, plus $5/cell transformers. So parts alone is like $10/cell. 24 cells = $240 in BOM only. So sell price is $600 minimum for 24s.
LTC6803 has never got popular due to high price. I hope this chipset will find it's way into some high energy industrial applications, but I doubt we will see it in consumer market.

circuit said:
I is a nice chipset, however look at the price.. It is $3/cell chips alone, plus $5/cell transformers. So parts alone is like $10/cell. 24 cells = $240 in BOM only. So sell price is $600 minimum for 24s.
LTC6803 has never got popular due to high price. I hope this chipset will find it's way into some high energy industrial applications, but I doubt we will see it in consumer market.

Digikey has them for 7.53 in qty 100, so $1.25/cell for the chips, although I agree it's a lot for what probably isn't all that necessary for the average person.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think even the big name EV makers (Chevy, Tesla, etc) use active balancing in their packs.

dmwahl said:
circuit said:

Digikey has them for 7.53 in qty 100, so $1.25/cell for the chips, although I agree it's a lot for what probably isn't all that necessary for the average person.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think even the big name EV makers (Chevy, Tesla, etc) use active balancing in their packs.

I would be surprised if they aren't using any balancing. However, they're definitely not using a flyback based balancing scheme.

It does seem like that could increase long term reliability though. That's a crapload of hardware though. Too many big inductors.

grindz145 said:
dmwahl said:
circuit said:

I would be surprised if they aren't using any balancing. However, they're definitely not using a flyback based balancing scheme.

It does seem like that could increase long term reliability though. That's a crapload of hardware though. Too many big inductors.

What I meant to say was they're not using active balancing, but rather passive (dissipative) balancing. A lot of them don't even recommend you fully charge unless you need the range, obviously if you're not fully charging then you don't get into the top balancing region. The cells they use are also a lot better than the chinese ones most of us use, so that will help keep things balanced. I had a coworker with a Nissan Leaf who said he rarely charged above 80%, although I think the car's computer periodically forces him to, probably to force a balance cycle and calibrate the fuel gauge. I think Tesla calls it "Range mode" for 100% and "Standard mode" for less than 100% charge.

Back