Ping battery size info required.

Tench

100 kW
Many of the different volt and amp hour configurations of Ping packs are quoted on his website to be 105mm wide, I was just wondering if a few people could measure theirs to see how his quoted dimensions relate to actual size. The reason is I am making a battery box that I would like to accommodate the ping pack, if i make it 105mm inside, is that enough?

So if anybody has one to hand i would appreciate it if you could tell me what would the distance be between 2 flat boards put against each side of your pack.

Thank You! :D

Plano 3700 Waterproof Storage Box is excellent for the Ping 48V 15Ahr. Just enough room for a 1/2 around the whole pack for airflow over the BMS - pretty indestructible polycarbonate, waterproof, carrying handle. I use two of the Pings on my trike in those boxes, inside a cutaway steel bike basket for easy removal. Check it out...

Chris

You definitely want to have the pack in hand before building something custom. As it ages, the pack will swell a bit for one thing, and you also want something between the pack and the box to absorb the chafing.

If you will build right now, add at least 5mm to the dimensions on the sides, and 10mm to the ends. Then use protective materials to shim to fit. You particularly don't want to crush the corners. Top of the pack needs to get some air on the bms. You can reposition the bms, if the "top" you want is a side of the pack.

What voltage Ah are you looking for ?

Ping batteries are good, but they're big heavy and expensive, they haven't reduced in cost at all in the last few years.

Did you check out cell-mans triangle batteries on em3ev ? smaller and a good bit lighter, they won;t last as long but to me smaller and lighter is more important.

cell-man can also makes a high power LiFeP04 battery if that's the one you want to go for. You wouldn't want to run a ping at more than 2C and only 2C for short bursts. I'm surprised he's still selling the same old cells.

Several replies but no info, the battery box is to be part of a frame so using some other method to carry the battery is not an option (I didn't ask for alternative battery storage options, or C rates, or overall pack size V or AH) I know Ping can do various sizes and pack configurations to suit individual needs as I have been communicating with him, but the cells always dictate the dimension of 105mm as the pack width, so all I wanted to know is how accurate are his quoted dimensions, do I need to leave additional room or can I work to the quoted 105mm as a maximum size. So if a few people could measure the width of their ping packs I would be grateful.

I don't have a particular pack V and AH size in mind, I want to make this frame to accept a variety of choices but the width of Ping packs is always the same, Pings cells dictate that. The length and height of the battery compartment will allow upto 48v 25ah or 60v 15ah, maybe 60v 20ah, there is room to spare on those dimension. but I need to know how accurate his quoted width is.

I am not going to use a Ping battery, but I do intend to manufacture some of these frames so wanted to make the battery compartment accommodate many different choices. I know Paul at EM3ev can construct packs of many different sizes to suit an application. I know pings are limited in their C rate, what I don't know is How accurate his quoted pack width of 105mm is.

I feel like I have just asked somebody what day it is and they answered the day before tomorrow or the day after yesterday or even "today".

So thank you to those that took the trouble to reply but I would also like replies that answer the question rather than second guess it wrongly or give advice I didn't need.

I didn't want to add extra width if it was not needed, keeping it as slim as possible is the plan.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So lets start again with the simple question, it would be really nice if someone could read it and answer it

Many of the different volt and amp hour configurations of Ping packs are quoted on his website to be 105mm wide, I was just wondering if a few people could measure theirs to see how his quoted dimensions relate to actual size. The reason is I am making a battery box that I would like to accommodate the ping pack, if i make it 105mm inside, is that enough?

So if anybody has one to hand i would appreciate it if you could tell me what would the distance be between 2 flat boards put against each side of your pack.

Thank You! :D

LOl you're a bit of a cocky git aren't you ? :p

I sold my 48V 20ah ping to a mate of mine if you hang on until around 5-6 pm I can get the dimensions of that particular pack for you.

o00scorpion00o said:

I sold my 48V 20ah ping to a mate of mine if you hang on until around 5-6 pm I can get the dimensions of that particular pack for you.

Not really mate, I am horizontal I am that laid back, but forums are terrible for asking a question and people thinking they know what your upto and giving advice based on their presumption rather than what was actually asked for. I have been guilty of it myself!
To be fair though ES members are very good, this is one of the best places for good advice and often the tangential replies raise valid points, but not this time! 8)

Tench said:
o00scorpion00o said:

Not really mate, I am horizontal I am that laid back, but forums are terrible for asking a question and people thinking they know what your upto and giving advice based on their presumption rather than what was actually asked for. I have been guilty of it myself!
To be fair though ES members are very good, this is one of the best places for good advice and often the tangential replies raise valid points, but not this time! 8)

There are better ways to make a point though don't ye think ? Simply saying thanks for the advice but I'm really just looking for the dimensions etc etc. :D

Measured my 48v 15a ping. 20 months old. 103mm width when measured at the corner. Also measured the width towards the middle of the pack and it is a little wider, around 108mm. Harder to get a precise measurement because the edge is a little dented (probably from unwrapping the battery then rewrapping it for a repair).

I have three 48v 20Ahr Ping packs, all well used and varying between 1 and 2.5 years old. My measurements are much the same as those given by upward. 103mm at the ends, 105mm in the middle. Generally consistent across all the packs, nothing over Ping's stated dimensions. Even though these batteries were purchased over a period they are all as near as damn it identical. The slight bulge in the middle is just a feature of the construction method.

In a really close tolerance battery box, if the pouches swell for any reason, then I can imagine that there might be a problem!

Hope it helps.

Back