EGO 56V 4Ah lawn tool Lithium Ion battery

mistercrash

10 kW
EGO_4AHBattery_new_d1588161-3011-47f0-add9-037436594fae_large.png

I searched for this in here but couldn't find anything. What's in it you think? 18650 cells probably but which ones? The 4Ah model is $200, the 2Ah model is $130. I can't afford to get one right now just to open it up but I'm sure one of you can do it.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60064&p=897830

8)

if 56v is exactly right for your build, i can see the interest.
BUT for 36v or 54v or 72v the dewalt dcb204 is hard to beat. 18v 4ah packs 2/119 free ship. locally sold and serviced.
each pack has 8 terminals so every cell pair can be checked/charged.
and NO china cells, and no bms (smart engineering like bosch)

From what I saw on the thread linked by ambroseliao and from what I could find myself, it looks like there are many other choices that are much better than this EGO battery. It looks like it uses some little prismatic cells (UF553450T) that have a poor C rating and I'm sure I saw cells like that in old cell phones and camcorders.

All,

I disassembled my own 2.0Ah 56v pack to see what's inside. The assembly is very nice, the BMS is fully potted and there appears to be a secondary board that talks to teh charger and the device it is powering. There does not appear to be an actual pack disconnect device such as a MOSFET bridge, instead the BMS talks to the tool it is powering and tells it to power down.

Under the heatshrink the cells are 18650's covered in a thermally conductive polymer sleeve to act as heatsinks and increase surface area, pretty clever design.

I peeled back the covering on one cell and it is red. I believe the cells are Sanyo ur18650rx.

Attachments

• IMG_20150819_164250.jpg
    IMG_20150819_164250.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 5,980
  • IMG_20150819_164342.jpg
    IMG_20150819_164342.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 5,980
  • IMG_20150819_164355.jpg
    IMG_20150819_164355.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 5,980
  • IMG_20150819_164412.jpg
    IMG_20150819_164412.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 5,980
  • ur18650rx.pdf
    503.7 KB · Views: 248
I just deleted my duplicate post of the vid. Nice investigation. I purchased a bunch of their tools for our school, blowers, strimmer and now hedge trimmer. I ordered another 4AH battery, but just found out they do a 5AH and 7.5AH! :( So bummed about that as the extra capacity would not have been missed!

http://www.batterysupports.com/sanyo-36v-20a-20ah-ur18650rx-18650-power-battery-liion-p-370.html
Rates the Sanyo ur18650rx at 20A discharge rate.

It would be nice to confirm those are the cells in the pack. Because a lot of Sanyo cells are red.

If anyone happens to be in the Cleveland (or Detroit) area...I have 4 of the Ego 56V 2AH batteries that I'd like to turn into a battery for my scooter. Unfortunately I don't have the electronics knowledge to do so myself. But if anyone in the area is interested, I'd be happy to compensate you for your time.

Thanks!!

I picked up some used 2.0a batteries on ebay to play with. One seems to be bricked so I didn't mind tearing into it deeper. As M52 already mentioned, the protection must be built into the tools. The main terminals are wired directly off the cells. Also, confirming this 2.0 battery is 14 cells in series.

The heat sink around the cells is some sort of fiber reinforced plastic. It almost looks like there are specks of copper in it too and it's very brittle. (See photo.) I'm skeptical of the claim about this material being phase changing.

The only marking on the cells is: TAB4RXA, followed by a 6 digit # that is different on each cell. This doesn't mean anything to me... any ideas?

The really interesting thing to me about Ego 56 is the 7.5a battery. It's about the right size for many bike applications. Also the 14s voltage is good for a boost on most 36/48v setups while staying under 60v. Some of the tools look pretty awesome too like the mower and a 480cfm blower. The quick charger looks decent too. The battery is expensive, but it's about the same per WH as any other tool battery.

There's also an interesting looking 80v line of tools by Greenworks now, but no high capacity batteries yet.

IMG_20151230_190050.jpg
IMG_20151230_185715.jpg

I saw a photo on an Aussie web site of a custom cruiser e-bike powered with these batteries.
The batteries come with a 3 year warranty.

What are the battery cans themselves. That seems to be the elusive info, because people go through the motions of opening it all up and are too wimpy and chicken $#^@ to actually see what the cans are. Its just "Look at me and my video" type of stuff. Grade school stuff really. Like the people making video's that repeat themselves, its annoying!

markz said:
What are the battery cans themselves. That seems to be the elusive info, because people go through the motions of opening it all up and are too wimpy and chicken $#^@ to actually see what the cans are. Its just "Look at me and my video" type of stuff. Grade school stuff really. Like the people making video's that repeat themselves, its annoying!

They look like Sanyo cells to me based on that picture. Maybe Sanyo 2Ah 20A rated cells?

The phase changing thing is kind of fishy... but it must do a little something, otherwise they wouldn't bother with the added expense of putting it on each cell. I'd be interested in doing some load tests on a cell with and without the phase change material and looking at the temperatures under my flir camera. Maybe I'll try to hunt down a pack. If anyone has any suggestions on a cheap broken pack let me know.

I don't think I need 56V for a weed wacker, but...I like the idea that the weed wacker and the lawn mower can use the same battery. For the lawn mower, I am certain more volts is a good place to start.

Don't have the mower yet. However, bought the 56V string-trimmer, and just did my first lawn edging with it. Awesome! Very quiet. I had bought a corded string trimmer a few years ago, specifically so I could weed-wack early in the morning, when it is cooler. Its a pain to drag the long cord out, and then to coil it up and put it away, but...I did it until the wacker died last week. I always edge before I mow, so the mower bags most of the clippings, and disperses the rest.

I "could" wait until the gas mower dies, but...when winter comes, I'm selling it for $20, and buying the electric EGO 56V next spring.

edit: the large mower pack will also run the weed wacker, but....the small weed wacker pack refuses to run the mower, even unloaded. There are three blades on the mower battery interface, so that third blade somehow knows...this is relevant because a couple years from now I will be adapting my old ebike pack to run the mower.

Back