Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

magudaman

10 kW
I had been looking over my battery choices a couple months ago and recently wrapped up my electrified GoPed project and want get a new battery for it. So I started looking at batteries again.

Ok so the battery I’m not seeing much information on here is the Samsung INR18650-30Q. This is a 3000mah battery that can do 20a intermittent and 15a continuous, all for $3.18 a cell! Just like the 20R they only quote 250 cycles at that load but I hope I will get better using a lower rates. I also attached the data sheet.

So should I pull the trigger on 200 cells, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a new giant battery scam going on that my searches were not catching? My current project is only for 56 cells but will be assembling a new bike after selling my electric motoped that should fund a project for the remaining 140 or so cells.

Attachments

• INR18650-30Q Cell SPEC(Tentative)(1).pdf
    303.7 KB · Views: 4,439
I have been researching cells for a month now and this cell seems great to me. I'm sure it can do >20A for short burst as well. I hope to get a few samples for testing. I will compare it to the 25R and MH1 cell. I need to see which fits my duty cell and peak power desires.

I think it will be a good cell. Check out the reviews of the 20Q cells for comparison because it should be similar (same as 20R vs 25R).

Where were you quote $3.18/cell. I was quoted $3.90/cell from an alibaba seller (higher from keeppower). They also mentioned they wont be in stock until the end of the month. A brand new cell.

Slightly less current than the 20R/25R that started all the high current 18650 excitement. If the 15A continuous number is correct, a pack group of 5P modules (= 15-Ah pack) would provide 75A continuous...probably stay fairly cool if limited to only 50A continuous...

But...in exchange you get:

3000-mAh, 20% more range than the 25R
COSTS LESS than the 25R

Sounds like a winner...

from a post below, 3000-mAh HG2 20A cell from LG...the HG2 will be the 30Q cells competition

Thanks for the input guys! I placed an order and just got word the deal was too good to be true. Apparently the price was for 100 cells, not 200. :( The seller is asking that I cancel the order now and sent me a price list of all the 18650s they offer. Lame but the saying "too good to be true" always seems to work its magic. Their price lists the cell at $4.80

Seller on aliexpress: Queen Battery Supplier

magudaman said:
Thanks for the input guys! I placed an order and just got word the deal was too good to be true. Apparently the price was for 100 cells, not 200. :( The seller is asking that I cancel the order now and sent me a price list of all the 18650s they offer. Lame but the saying "too good to be true" always seems to work its magic. Their price lists the cell at $4.80

Sadly that price makes a bit more sense. Still a great cell. If you dont need the extra capacity then the 25R can be had for something closer to $3.60/cell in the quantity. If you do order some 30Q cells I would love to buy 2 samples from you to test.

magudaman said:

-my best offer from China was 3,90 USD....do you have found better pricing?

What about the HG version? http://www.keeppower.com.cn/products_detail.php?id=505

Looks like LG has a new trump card. Saw this pop up last week. I'll probably try to get some quotes for pricing next week.

magudaman said:
Ok so the battery I’m not seeing much information on here is the Samsung INR18650-30Q. This is a 3000mah battery that can do 20a intermittent and 15a continuous, all for $3.18 a cell! Just like the 20R they only quote 250 cycles at that load but I hope I will get better using a lower rates. I also attached the data sheet.
Yeah that specsheet is interesting..
With standard charge and maximum continuous discharge. Capacity after 250cycles, Capacity ≥ 1,800mAh (60% of the nominal capacity at 25℃)
No other cycling data other then tested at max continuous..The only other thing it says on the matter is this "
Cycle life may be determined by conditions of charging, discharging, operating temperature and/or storage. "
Nuts&Volts said:
If you do order some 30Q cells I would love to buy 2 samples from you to test.
You can get a twin pack from fasttech to test with, $6.89 each including free shipping.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10002357/2363400
Then post your findings to the thread! :eek:

TheBeastie said:
magudaman said:
Yeah that specsheet is interesting..
With standard charge and maximum continuous discharge. Capacity after 250cycles, Capacity ≥ 1,800mAh (60% of the nominal capacity at 25℃)
No other cycling data other then tested at max continuous..The only other thing it says on the matter is this "
Cycle life may be determined by conditions of charging, discharging, operating temperature and/or storage. "
Nuts&Volts said:
If you do order some 30Q cells I would love to buy 2 samples from you to test.
You can get a twin pack from fasttech to test with, $6.89 each including free shipping.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10002357/2363400
Then post your findings to the thread! :eek:

I don't see anything unusual about that.
Looks like an interesting cell. I'd like to test.
Many people don't realize that 15A continuous is a ridiculous rate for an 18650. Who wants an e-bike with 10 minute battery life?

I just ordered 4 of these puppies to test.
Turns out there's a local place in Houston with these in stock.

okashira said:

I've got two myself and ran some quick tests on my PL8 charger yesterday. Ran a 3.5A, 6A, and 10A discharge from 4.2V to 2.5V. Got about 2.9Ah on each test. Max temp on 10A was 75degC at the end. Performed well compared to a LG MH1 and Panasonic BD cell which both got just under 3Ah and got to 85degC on a 10A cont draw. Had to tune back the current to 5A and 7A on each cell about 60% into the discharge to keep the temp below 85degC.

I have some more cells to test and then will get the data into useful graphs, etc. later in the week. Also some higher C rate and HPPC testing when I get my arduino discharger thing working again.

30Q is performing great so far.

Nuts&Volts said:
okashira said:

I've got two myself and ran some quick tests on my PL8 charger yesterday. Ran a 3.5A, 6A, and 10A discharge from 4.2V to 2.5V. Got about 2.9Ah on each test. Max temp on 10A was 75degC at the end. Performed well compared to a LG MH1 and Panasonic BD cell which both got just under 3Ah and got to 85degC on a 10A cont draw. Had to tune back the current to 5A and 7A on each cell about 60% into the discharge to keep the temp below 85degC.

I have some more cells to test and then will get the data into useful graphs, etc. later in the week. Also some higher C rate and HPPC testing when I get my arduino discharger thing working again.

30Q is performing great so far.

75C?????

Model S cells end at near 75C or less and get 3.1Ah on a 10A full draw, in my testing with a taped on thermocouple. No airflow. I consider 75C too hot.
I expected the 30Q to be _MUCH_ cooler on 10A, as in ~50C at the end of a 10A draw.

As I suspected, this cell is a monster performer.
I was dead on in my temperature prediction. :-D
EDIT: Discharge was run at 10A. I fully calibrated the tester before this run.

file.php

20150531_003814.jpg

20150531_003743.jpg

Attachments

• 30Q - okashira - dawnj6atgmail.png
    30Q - okashira - dawnj6atgmail.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 4,684
riba2233 said:
Really nice! Could you also do 15 and 20A graph? With temperatures of course :)

I would really like to see some cycle testing of this one.

I will have to see if I can run two channels in parallel to get 20 amps. Hopefully.
Each channel maxes out at 10A.

Cycling is still broken. The cycle command just does a wait and stops. I can only do 9 steps (charge cc/cv, discharge cc, wait)

I have asked the manufacturer to increase sample rate, add more then 10 steps (asked for 20+) and of course fix the cycle command. They said they would to all 3....

Awesome test!! I'm guessing my setup needs some work. My temperature gun is probably shit. I'll try a thermocouple and arduino next. I trust the current of my PL8, but the rest of the setup is suspect.

I'd love to see a 1C discharge if you have the time.

Updated with 3A discharge, and another 10A discharge.
I stopped the 3A discharge at 2.7V.

file.php

Attachments

• 30Q #2 - okashira - dawnj6atgmail.png
    30Q #2 - okashira - dawnj6atgmail.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 4,663
Nuts&Volts said:
okashira said:
Updated with 3A discharge, and another 10A discharge.
I stopped the 3A discharge at 2.7V.

Thanks man! Did you happen to weigh these cells? I realized my scale doesnt have enough resolution.

No, i'd guess 47-48.5g.

The mfr of my tester says it could work in theory to use channels in parallel. So I can try to run a 20A discharge, even up to 80A, since it is possible to start all channels at the same time.
I did weigh three cells. They came in at 46.1g, 46.1g, 46.1g. Model S cell wrapped: 47.5g.

Back