Ping Reports?

I have had my Ping battery, 36v/10AHr, since Feb.
I am using a Bafang rear hub motor, and the std controller, 14.8A.
I had one minor issue early in the piece, when my BMS died. Ping replaced that at no cost. Kudos to Ping!
Apart from that, I have had no issues using this battery on an almost daily basis.
As my controller is 14.8A, my drain on the battery is always <1.5C.
I have never hit the LVC. My usual commute is around 14K's, so range isn't an issue, and I only charge at home.
I connected my WattsUp a couple of months back, and have been on some rides in excess of 30 k's.
The max I have drawn from the battery is around 8 AHr's, and the lowest I have seen the voltage drop is 32.4v.
For my use, the Ping battery has performed flawlessly.
I did have a minor issue over the winter months, when the battery seemed to be below capacity, but it seems to have picked up again, now that it has warmed up a bit. The performance drop wasn't significant, or of a major concern, but was noticeable.
I have no idea on the number of cycles I now have on this battery, but performance appears to be the same, and capacity would appear to be still quite good, at least >95%, but as I said, I have never hit the LVC!
IMO, these are a great battery, and a much better option than lead!
Would I buy another one, if I needed it? You bet!

Thanks for the report. I've been looking into Li batts. I'll look at Ping.

Ok, thought I'd add an estimate of my battery usage.
I have been journaling all my bike rides since the end of May. Turns out, since then, until now, I have used my assist trike 77 times (charge cycles) That could be single trips, or combined return commutes. Based on that usage, I estimated a further 56 rides for the preceding 3.5 months.
That makes a for a fairly accurate cycle usage of 133 since purchasing my battery in Feb.
As I now journal all my bike usage, it should be fairly easy to track my track how many cycles I have on my battery from here on in.
I guess my usage could have been higher, but sometimes I ride one of my other bikes to work as well, pedal power all the way!

I also have not kept an accurate track of my cycles on the Ping 36v 20 ah I bought last march. But since my full commute is 30 miles, and I have kept mileae, I can't have less than 100 cycles, and since many of my cycles were not the full 30 miles, I estimate at least 120 -150 cycles on my Ping. My standard cycle is 15 miles, and 75% discharged. Like you, I have a reasonable sise motor, and my calculated average amp draw is under 20 amps, making a lot of my riding at 1c. I can't detect any imbalance or loss of capacity. Occasionally I do ride till cut out, and can tell that way if range is less. It's not. In my case the battery has taken extreme heat discharging, and usually charged in 110-120 F heat in the garage.

In short, it's a dang good battery, and the v 2.0 is supposed to be a bit better, able to do 3 c for a short burst. The key thing in my opinion is keeping the discharge rate lower than 1.5 c. Do that, and it seems that 1000 plus cycles may be a real world thing, not just a test spec.

Just a possible issue with the Ping/duct tape batteries, that I also posted on my Bafang LED issue thread.
Seems the performance drops off over the cooler months, but I didn't notice any drop in capacity?
I'd be interested to know if anyone else on the forum has noticed anything similar.
Rather re-typing everthing, I'll just copy what I put in the other thread.

"Just thought I'd give an update on this issue, as it may indicate that I do indeeed have a problem!
Over the last few days, the green LED has started coming on again, and is actually more reluctant to go off!
In conjunction with this, my power usage seems to have dropped off! I'm actually using between 0.5 and 1.0 AHr less, on my 6.7 k commute to work, and the motor seems to be pulling stronger!
The only change that I can see, is that the weather has been warming up. Maybe my battery is picking up again after chilling off over winter?
Dunno, it doesn't really get that cold here, but was around -2C to maybe 8-10C over winter? Maybe thats all it takes for the pack to taper off the performance a bit?
But, the pack/motor is starting to feel stronger and the issue with the green LED seems to have resolved. So unless there is an issue with my wiring/controller, it seems that ir may be resolved.
I know most of you guys that are running Ping/duct tape packs are in the Northern hemisphere, but maybe there is someone else on the board that has observed a similar thing?"

All battery chemitries have more trouble giving power when they are cold, although some are better than others. I think the symtoms of cold are exagerated voltage sag under load (ie higher internal resistance). This might explain your Ah use going down a bit with the warmth, because if your voltage is higher, then you need less amps to get the same power (watts).

As your "winter" is finishing, mine is starting here... and here it's REAL winter! I'll let you know how my ping will hold up. I keep it inside while not riding, and might find a cooler (to keep it warmer!) to put it in on my bike so it doesn't freeze during the trip. Also, it generates it's own heat during >1.5C discharge, so with the insulated cooler I sould be OK. We get -20oC easy here, altough I might not be crazy enough yet to go biking in that weather... maybe.

I would think an insulated bag or box would be plenty if the battery was brought inside overnight. If not, then a little time on a heating pad should do the trick. In hot air balloons, we do the same thing to gently warm our fuel in the winter. We need the fuel to be 70 F to fly with enough pressure to make the burner work right. If the bike and battery is stuck out in a cold garage or mud room, just heat the battery with a little hot pad on a timer.

Back