Take apart two perfectly good 36V to make a 48V?

lameduck

10 mW
I have two of these batteries: http://www.electricbicycleworld.com/li-3/

They are 36V 11.6ah using Panasonic (Cell Model NCR18650PD). Typical cell capacity is 2880mAh and minimum cell capacity is 2730mAh.

I want to take the apart and use the cells to make a 48V 16.8ah battery. Would you advice against this? Would 48V provide a noticeable difference in the power of my motor? (It is a 500W Falco Direct Drive Hub Motor)

If so, are there suggestions for a good BMS and rear rack case to buy to put the cells in?

It would be a 13s6p....i did not know about mixing used cells. Maybe it would not be worth to break open already working packs?

No. Just ride em till they die. If you want 48v now, get a new 48v, and use the 36v for rides when you need longer range, or don't need the extra power.

Like bike + one,, the number of batteries you need is the number you have, + one. Add the 48v 10 ah, and you will have mega range on the weekends. Save the 48v pack for the steep part, and ride the 36v on the flat ,or down hill.

Thanks for all the replies. As I have thought about using both of the 36V 11.6ah batteries, the question came as to if they can me wired up in parallel? Does anyone know if this is possible?

yes, parallel them all you want. Charge full, then connect when both are full, at close to the same exact voltage. Disconnect and charge separately.

The bike should perk up some, because of less sag under load, longer ride before voltage drops, etc.

Back