Backpack battery magnetic battery connection

PtotheK

10 mW
Hi all, I'm looking to build by second ebike. Not sure on what motor yet but toying with the idea of keeping the battery in a backpack for stealth. I've seen that a couple of factory production ebikes and concept ebikes have the battery in a backpack connected to the motor via a magnetic battery connection (see pics) so that if you stack it then you can disconnect easily. 2 questions: 1, do these exist that could handle 52v battery packs and 2, if so where can I buy them?

Any further info much appreciated. Cheers :D

p.s. I wonder whatever happened to e-ram, looked like a great concept!

Attachments

• e-ram-crank-based-add-on-e-bike-motor02.jpg
    e-ram-crank-based-add-on-e-bike-motor02.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,716
  • e-ram-crank-based-add-on-e-bike-motor03.jpg
    e-ram-crank-based-add-on-e-bike-motor03.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,716
  • img_1474.jpg
    img_1474.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,716
Search "RoPD connector". They will work fine for 52V, but....they are designed for charging, so the amps might be limited by design. I suspect they might get hot at 30A, but I do not know for certain.

[edit: curses upon spell correct!]

It's not magnetic but used Anderson power poles. Never had one disconnect accidentally and used it off-road.

The PP45s have two tension levels of contact available; I recommend making sure you get the higher level ones for this type of use. The others can be pulled loose from the weight of the cable pulling downward during a big bump, once they have worn a bit from repeated disconnections.

The Anderson SB50 will not disconnect by accident even once it is worn, but it will pull loose if yanked (like if you are separated from the bike in a crash), as long as the cable at the other end is secured. There are even specific cable clamps they make specifically designed to hold the wires to the connector shell to prevent strain on the crimps/etc when used in this manner (I see them on powerchair and UPS stuff now and then, too).

I had SLA 18Ah bricks on CrazyBike2 ages back, and in some of my early testing I just set them in baskets, and going off my driveway was enough of a bump to bounce one out, and the SB50 disconnected just fine, no cable or battery damage (other than scratches from it's landing).

As for magnetic connectors...for some higher current uses you could try the ones on the AC cords for deep-fryers, but you will probably need to replace the magnets with better ones, as they often don't even hold on very well just sitting there, and I doubt they'd hold together with any kind of vibration, much less road bumps or slight cable wiggles.

Might be easier to just build your own. There have been a few "backpack battery pack" threads, and I think at least one used a DIY magnetic connector, if you look around the forum (possibly in the skateboard section?)

45 amps andersons will work fine. If you need them a tad more sticky,, you can use a block of two pairs of them. They will break away fine if you need it.

Hillhater said:
Back to the magnetic connector in the "e-ram" ...
Does anyone have any clues who the manufacturer might be (the connector , not the e-ram). ?
It must be a commercial product, but a really elusive one !

Rosenberger

http://www.rosenberger.com/en/products/automotive/ropd.php

Cheers for all the replies guys, much appreciated. I sent Rosenberger an email but haven't received a reply as yet. If anyone else finds a source for them let me know. Thanks again :lol:

Back